Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late season tactics

Wapsi Tree Rat

Most years I hunt hard for the first couple weeks of Nov. If I haven't scored the buck I want by Nov 15th, it's time to be happy for my time in the woods and play catch up on the reality of life (wife, kids, work, take out the trash). I may take a doe or try and get out again around Thanksgiving.

However, this year I went and got myself in some silly contest and don't want to let my teammates down. It's been a tough year so far. Life is crazy and got out there late, and now we seem to be in full lock down here in East Central Ia. I'm chasing a 160ish 13 point skyscraper, and the two times I've seen him in daylight I spotted him from the road, heading towards my stand as I was heading to work. #*%@#!!**!!

So, wondering if we might throw around some later season tips?
Is rattling still effective?
Grunts?
Estrous bleats?
Mock scrapes?
Drag rags?
High noon still good?

Whatever ya got, I'm interested.

Hunting around Thanksgiving can be very good! Most of the does have been bread and the bucks are out looking again. My tip would be to continue to hunt around bedding areas in the morning and food sources in the evening. I have found that rattling is not a good thing to do late. But grunt calls can still bring them in.

Hunt your normal rut stands around doe bedding and travel corridors. These next two weekends are my favorite to hunt. The old mature bucks really make themselves killable because they are looking for the last few does and aren't spending their time locked down. You can still see some intense rutting action if you are around a hot doe, but the big mature bucks are really out searching. I have had some success with calling this time of year.

Biggest buck i've ever had an opportunity at ~200 incher, was right around thanksgiving cruising a trail at 11:30. you wont see quite as much action as the peak rut but the big boys get back on their feet. I really enjoy hunting this time frame because it seems like after the 15th most guys have called it a year and you can have the deer all to yourself. Just get in a good funnel or near a doe bedding area and settle in.

I agree with all the above! The vast majority of my best hunts have been during the last week of November. I've seen more mature bucks cruising during that time frame than any other week in November.

If you want to watch a good video go to The Hunting Public facebook page and watch their most recent podcast. Even if you don' have facebook you can watch it. Very informative and basically just reiterating what has been said here already

• Deleted by bigbuckhunter88
Show…
I'm a nonresident hunting public land. My last three hunts were the best since my hunt started October 27th. And nobody in any public parking lots. Woods barren of hunters and full of bonker bucks. Saw 7 total this morning, including one cruising through a ridge saddle at 11:30 am. Witnessed my first full bore buck fight at 10:40 am. Two 130" bucks going at it 60 yards fro my stand. The winner let out a big buck roar! First time hearing this in my 30 years bow hunting. Missed a 40 yard shot at a 140+ at 8:30 am. Amazing hunt. I love Iowa. No greased pimp politicians managing the deer herd thank god.

Reactions: arm
Although we do not see as much action the week around Thanksgiving, we have had some high quality opportunities with the most desirable deer on the farm on multiple occasions through the years. It can be a great time for Mr. Big to go for a walk in broad daylight. Look for feint trails on the downwind side of doe bedding areas. They do seem to avoid stepping into the open, so be back in the timber a little.

In years past Thanksgiving weekend has deer hitting evening food heavily. Does seem to begin bunching up and mature bucks start showing up to feed and scent check these areas. Less explosive action compared to the rut but in my opinion more consistent from year to year.

Last year I hunted from the day before Thanksgiving until the day after in the mornings. I did nothing but three short grunt calls from the ground and I had more mature bucks come plowing through the brush than I'd seen the entire season. They was no hesitation at all. I'm trying to get my wife her first deer this year and we haven't seen much the last 3 sits this week. I can almost guarantee you the big boys are gonna go gangbusters here soon.

Fwiw I've never killed a buck with a bow before the 15th of November. A lot of that might have to do with when I can hunt because of school and now work. But the last couple weeks of November is dynamite from what I've experienced.

I think there are a lot of variables. In my experience in my area you have about a two week period where the mature bucks let their guard down and become killable. The later it gets into November they start transitioning back to more nocturnal activity. I'm not saying it's not possible to kill one but I think your odds go down significantly.

If you hunt an area with no gun pressure, food plots ect...... I can see why the end of November could be a magical time in the deer woods.

But,

If you hunt property that gets gun pressure I believe the mature bucks realize what's coming and start shifting more into survival mode.

3 of my 4 largest bowkills are 11/19, 11/20, 11/26. All of these deer were 5 or older. 2 lone cruisers - 1 came in following a group of 3 does. it can definitely still happen. BTW scenarios/times were, 11/19 (funnel-travel corridor / 1600), 11/20 (doe bedding area / 0915), 11/26 (funnel-travel corridor / 0830).

Last edited:
Any tips or tactics for those of us who are headed out after the gun seasons are over? My first late season archery hunt, as a matter of fact it’s my first archery season all together. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch them coming to a food source in PM shooting hours if/when the weather gets nasty. If weather doesn't get bad... better luck next year. :rolleyes: Good luck!

Top Bottom