Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hog Radish and Austrian Pea Mix Planted in Spring?

lv2hntnfsh

When I was browsing Welters catalog I saw this mix and it got me thinking. Has anyone had any experience planting either of these in the spring(or similar brassica mixes)? I am wondering what the results are for consumable tonnage come winter for the wildlife.

I want to get away from the risk of no rain in the all too common Southern Iowa late summer droughts as of late. This year I ended up with a couple of dud-ish plots and I want to prevent this from happening again. I am not worried about them reseeding themselves.

I have about 3.5-4 acres to experiment with aside from my 7 acres of beans and corn. I would love to hear some first hand experience!

I’ll read up on welters. Radish and winter don’t usually go together and radish is usually a very fast maturing plant. I’ll see what I’m missing if different variety or what the deal is. Sounds like a green manure plow down in late July or early August to put in something else where N could be utilized. But- I’ll read up and reply back.

Neither one will be good by summer. Both are cool season plants. Austrian peas are winter peas.

I'm thinking that planted in the spring, the peas would all be grazed to nothing and the radish would be rotten by winter. Not thinking that's a good way to get a winter food source. I would stick with your beans & corn for that. Not based on personal experience planting them in the spring though...

Paul’s strip planting seems to be tough to beat.
Look through his grain thread and he talked about summer droughts and how he delt with them.
Bingo. Go to dbltree threads.
In regards to drought- organic matter & residue on top (like a rye thatch) are huge leaps to fighting & tolerating drought.

Top Bottom