Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Have You Guys Ever Taken This Shot?

Id take the straight down shot all day, even with an mechanical . Why not ?

Most fear the Mechanical won't get as good of penetration likely leading to no exit wound out of the bottom. With one hole in the top the blood trail will probably be non existent and the chest cavity will fill with blood. But if you put it in the right spot there will be no need for a blood trail because the deer will go down in sight or just out of it. If you hit to far back liver/gut area it's probably going to be a long day.

This buck was shot last year on what appeared to be a straight down shot. The rage was in the cage (as they say) and it appeared to get one lung. Can't confirm that because my friends slug destroyed both lungs. As in any situation, shot placement is key.

Most fear the Mechanical won't get as good of penetration likely leading to no exit wound out of the bottom. With one hole in the top the blood trail will probably be non existent and the chest cavity will fill with blood. But if you put it in the right spot there will be no need for a blood trail because the deer will go down in sight or just out of it. If you hit to far back liver/gut area it's probably going to be a long day.

This buck was shot last year on what appeared to be a straight down shot. The rage was in the cage (as they say) and it appeared to get one lung. Can't confirm that because my friends slug destroyed both lungs. As in any situation, shot placement is key.

Straight down or facing straight away ? To me for it to slide up along the spine I would think straight away or hard quartering away with a hit hit.

Last edited:
Straight down I think I could blow a target tip thru a whitetail. Most, if not all, that I have shot inside 10 yards with a 2" hammerhead get full pass throughs. I cannot imagine the straight down shot not passing thru unless you drive it right into the spine.

I would guess your shot that you showed was off center and missed lung? Just guessing thou.

The deer with an arrow in it shot during gun season had to be shot almost straight down. The rage was lodged in the bottom of the 3rd rib with 10" of shaft broken off in the chest cavity.. Could of been a little off center and missed lung but where the arrow was lodged in the rib and direct line back to the entry wound it's very odd that it didn't. I don't know who shot it or what their setup was but I bet they are still wondering what happened lol.

Im not sure if my setup would blow thru the deer on a straight down shot or not. I know I will get enough penetration to shred one lung if I was to only hit one. The slick trick did pass thru but I switched to grim reapers and spined the second buck so no pass thru.

Reactions: arm
There are obviously exceptions to every "rule". It is possible that a 2 blade setup slide alongside the outside edge of a lung without doing fatal damage if the blade alignment was just right. That doesn't really count as much of a "one lung hit with a sharp broadhead" though. ;) I'll still take a chance on a one lung hit with a sharp broadhead any day. It was however, a very lucky deer for that day! Not so much for shotgun season! :eek:

I guess in the back of my mind is a shot I took when I was young. I was 25 ft up and the deer was out from the stand maybe 10 ft...so basically straight down. I hit 3 inches off the spine on the close side, risht above the shoulder...exactly where I aimed. I just heard more of a crack and not a thump. There was 8" of arrow sticking out his back. Very thin blood went for 150-200 yards and and dried up. I never found him. Guess that still haunts me today.

Just one of those things your gonna deal with! I shot a doe straight down at two yards from the base of my tree! 62# longbow , 2 blade Zwickey head. Got one lung and heart! She went 30 and dropped! The arrow exited ,bounced back. In and exited again! She had 2 exit holes in her bottom! Not the best choice in most cases!

I've taken several straight down shots I use a mechanical killed them all with in sight on the tracking .. I have had buddy who have passed good deer because of a straight down shot I guess what you feel comfortable with .

I've dropped several bucks right under the tree. Not with a mechanical head though. Razor sharp cut on contact fixed blade and 70 lb bow weight works wonders for venison in the freezer. Good no shoot with mechanical.

I've dropped several bucks right under the tree. Not with a mechanical head though. Razor sharp cut on contact fixed blade and 70 lb bow weight works wonders for venison in the freezer. Good no shoot with mechanical.
Please tell us about that HUGE body in your avatar pic.

You dissing mechanicals based on experience or prejudice? I’ve had great results with straight down shots with Rage heads, both spine shots and single lung. I’ll take that shot with mechanical any day.

Interesting conversation, I’ve never had this shot presented but have thought about the what if. So what if it’s not a doe but a once in a lifer type deer?

In 1994 when I was shooting compound barebow with Zwickey Broadheads I shot a buck straight below me ( actually had to move my foot).
The arrow entered between the shoulder blades and got the heart but no exit hole. He went 50 yards.
This was the only deer that I’ve shot that dropped straight down and died with his legs under him. I still remember seeing the 2216 Easton arrow sticking out.
I don’t know if I’d do it again cause the shot has to be perfect.

You dissing mechanicals based on experience or prejudice? I’ve had great results with straight down shots with Rage heads, both spine shots and single lung. I’ll take that shot with mechanical any day.

I killed many deer with the Rage hypodermic . Bowhunting shots and broadhead selection is a very personal decision. One should have confidence in dropping the string on a living creature. If you don't, don't shoot. Many people misjudge the vitals on a deer under them and shoot too far foward. Also not getting an exit wound inhibits a good blood trail. The possibility of getting only 1 lung should also be a consideration. Again personal preference and confidence in your equipment and ability should be applied. No absolute right or wrong answer.

Last edited:
Please tell us about that HUGE body in your avatar pic.

That's a buck I saw on a website, it's not a deer I know personally. I'm not sure if it's free range or not. I got a kick out of that fatty though.

I killed many deer with the Rage hypodermic . Bowhunting shots and broadhead selection is a very personal decision. One should have confidence in dropping the string on a living creature. If you don't, don't shoot. Many people misjudge the vitals on a deer under them and shoot too far foward. Also not getting an exit wound inhibits a good blood trail. The possibility of getting only 1 lung should also be a consideration. Again personal preference and confidence in your equipment and ability should be applied. No absolute right or wrong answer.

Totally agree, especially on aiming too far forward! The vital zone on a deer isn't very wide from above and really gets narrow toward the front. The chest is actually quite narrow up between the shoulders. Getting only one lung is not a concern for me, nor have I failed to get an exit (except for one deer that was spined). As with any shot, it is entirely possible to just screw up and miss, even straight down. :( Remembering proper form is so critical on any shot with a significant down component.

Top Bottom