Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How long is meat ok to use?

Hey guys. I'm sure this has been asked before, but just a quick question regarding meat spoilage after shooting a deer. Basically, how long do you have to find it and get it gutted before having any spoilage or whatever? Case in point is buck shot late afternoon and found the next afternoon. Lung/heart shot. No coyotes. Temps in mid 20's overnight and mid 30's next day.

Any advice on specific example above or in general appreciated. Thanks!

I suppose as long as you didn't break the diaphram into the stomach cavity it would probably be ok. Would I risk it? No
Do you have a dog? May be a good candidate to grind up and feed Fido.
It sucks just probably not worth it to consume. IMO

Given the temps you describe, there would be no problem! Meat will be fine. Gut it, skin it and let it "air out" a day before you eat the tenderloins that lay right next to the intestines, but otherwise you should be "good to go".

As you describe I'd eat him. Only question is did he die in the bright sun or shade? Base question is how soon did he cool down?

Gut shot deer not found for a few hours I'd really have to think about consuming it. Probably not going to kill you but the bacteria from their guts can, in my opinion, get picked up in the blood stream and distributed through out the deer causing an unusual taste to the venison. It is also my unfounded opinion that gut shot deer that aren't found for several hours can give the consumer some GI distress. Or maybe it was everything else I ate at the same time I ate that particular deer. I was glad to see that batch of venison in my review mirror, no pun intended.

Top Bottom