Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MR. Double Throat Patch

Rjack

I have not killed a buck with a gun in at least 10 years. Passed on several as I always think about how big they will be if they survive to the next bow season. I hunted with my youngest son last Saturday. He sat in our best stand and saw around 40 deer in the all day sit with at least 10 bucks. One of them was actually this buck, but he did not present a shot.

I had 2 doe almost under me and a nice 1/2 rack at 50 yards when the doe looked across the ridge. I finally heard what they were hearing - and it was running deer. A doe came through and I heard a grunt. I saw a nice wide frame and decided it was finally time to take a buck with the gun again - my Savage 220 didn't have a kill yet, so it was time. He came flying in chasing the doe and stopped. My 1st shot was back - not sure if I pulled it or if he started to chase as I pulled the trigger. The next shot was through the lungs and he was down.

I was a little surprised to see he was a 7 point when I walked up. I had assumed he was an 8 as the 4 point side was closest to me when I shot. So, a little ground shrinkage. What was really cool was the huge double throat patch. I gave serious consideration to mounting him for the really cool cape. My son then mentioned he regretted not mounting a 150 buck he shot last year with the bow in the same area which had a small double throat patch. So, we decided to use the cape from this buck and the rack from his buck to create a really cool memory. I'll euro the rack from this one. Interestingly enough, this 7 point looks very similar to a 7 point my older son shot about 8 years ago on a farm about 5 miles away.

20171202_104150_resized.jpg
IMG_9218.jpg
IMG_9201.jpg

Awesome! Nice to finally pull the trigger, I'm in the same boat when it comes to gun hunting! Love the double throat patch!

Congrats bud. A guy doesn't see many 7's that big. I think the concept you and your family came up with by combining memories is great idea that represents what hunting means to your family - spending time together outdoors. Very cool idea.

Last edited:
great buck. man that cape is amazing...i got a little excited when i was reading that you weren’t going to mount it. Id love to have a cape like that. I’ve never actually seen a double throat patch deer. I think team 7 is tagged out on bucks!

Top Bottom