Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Emotional attachment to a giant buck, I'm torn, Advice?

Trapshooter1

Theres this deer (I call him a friend of mine), a 180 inch typical giant buck,I had him come by my stand at 30 yards this year, and there i stood holding my bow no motion, didn't draw just watched an old friend. And I can't really explain why, I have 3 years history with this deer, and I've really enjoyed watching this deer grow from a 140-150 to 180 inch monster buck. What do u guys all think??? I've already shot this deer 2 years ago. I feel like if I shot this deer the woods would be a ton more empty. I believe this deer is 5.5-6.5 year old buck. Any one else have any experience with stuff like this???

I passed on an "over the hill" buck that the neighbors shot and claimed it was 9 years old. Reason I didn't shoot was that his rack was on the downside. I don't think I'm letting a 180 walk, but maybe with some history, I might.

Id Kill him and Start a new Chapter. But I see what your saying I never been in that position..

Id Kill him and Start a new Chapter. But I see what your saying I never been in that position..
I agree! There can only be so many 180 (6.5 yr old) in an area. You may have to shoot him to allow for the next to move in! Best of luck with whichever you choose!

The choice of what you shoot or don't shoot is so personal that nobody can tell you what to do, nor should they be judgemental about what you choose to do. History can be an awesome part of the "hunt" but for me, the "harvest" remains the ultimate goal. If I win, I'll to memorialize the deer by putting him on the wall. The woods won't stay "empty" for long and the challenge will start all over again. Just enjoy the hunt, no matter what you decide is a "win" for you!

Yes the decision is yours to make .. right or wrong you will live with it and the way you make it sound you will accept your decision.
I’d like to say I have a friend that’s in your same shoes. When he finally decides to take a friend out many more bucks show up the next year and the process starts over.
Best of luck on what you choose to do.

I actually just went through that this year. Its been a true rollercoaster of emotions with a deer I nicknamed "Tiny". Three years of history, and after the shot I was truly speechless. I still think I made the right choice, the deer was a minimum 6 1/2. I chase the deer for the story, the history, not so much the harvest. Tiny was a staple on the farm, and one deer that I could always count on seeing. It will be odd checking cameras for awhile, but Im confident that there will be a new deer that I chase. Ultimately its your decision, and I have respect with whatever decision you make. Again, I have been there. Good luck!

Would you be upset if another hunter harvests him? What I mean is, would you regret not shooting him given the chance, or would you congratulate the other hunter? Maybe that scenario if it were me, would help in a decision.

Awesome post. I love seeing people actually thinking about what they shoot. I’m more “biological and logical” in my decisions but i totally understand the emotional element of it. I let a big one go last year that I did shoot this year. I guess I came to point where I knew he was maxed out, lived a lot of years and Mother Nature could take care of him at his age. So- i chose to shoot.

I guess I do think emotionally bought it though..... last year he was a giant but he was the only real mammoth on the farm and I just decided I didn’t wanna shoot him and he was so fun to watch all year and find his sheds.
No right or wrong answer for u. They are “ somewhat” of a “renewable resource” so if u take them while they are “ripe” - theoretically- all the “green tomatoes” will be your future. Of course not everything makes it to being “ripe” or mature so a guy needs to understand it may not always work out. To me that’s ok & what I expect. Others are different.
But- if he’s made it this long and he’s likely to make it AND you think he may be bigger next year- that could be an exciting shed season and hunting season of 2018. Up to u. Good luck in any case!!!

Last edited:
I did a similar thing this year on Thanksgiving, but was not familiar with the buck. 180" class on public stopped broadside 30 yards and I never picked up my bow. Just froze after a month of passing on lesser bucks, just got used to it. I even had the spot he stopped at ranged at 30.5. Had missed twice earlier in the hunt and convinced myself I'd just wound this buck. Stupid. But if you were hunting your own land that's a different decision.

Given the chance to harvest an old buck like that would be too great for me to pass up. I've been on the other side too many times, when an old warrior just disappears and you're left wondering "what ever happened to him"? When you have his rack in your possession, there's no wondering. And more often than not, they just disappear versus actually being harvested by another hunter. Good luck!

I would rather take him & have him mounted so I could re-live memories & admire the old stud every day instead of him getting hit by a car or his antlers being sold to someone that has no connection w/ him, or him being poached.

I can assure you, He s very special, hes not just your average buck. Probably the biggest deer I've had in bow range. Just couldn't do it. Like i said hard to explain. I think I'll give him 1 more year. And see what he does, he had at least 6.5 inch bases and all the way out held that thickness. Hopefully next year I get another chance.

I've been contemplating a similar situation myself. I only had one encounter with him during bow season, he stood at 150 yards. I'm debating what I'll do if he steps out late season and I have the gun. I know if its January 10 and he's standing broadside at 100 yards he's probably going to get a pass.

M350 once said "you can't shoot a 150 if you shoot every 125; you can't shoot a 170 if you shoot every 150; you can't shoot a 200 if you shoot every 170"

This was after he posted about passing a 170 with busted tines. Many of us called him names unbecoming of a mature individual, but he posted that quote. The next year his buddy shot that buck he passed and it went over 190 as a typical. Shoot what makes you happy....

but I'm shooting every 170 I see!! =) Good luck rolling the dice!

You're a better man than me. Lol At this point in my hunting career and life I figure that if a mature buck and I cross paths, then the good lord intended for me to shoot him.

I can respect the guy's whose 180" bucks are like 150" bucks to them though. Gotta build off of your successes and given the right conditions, where they can live another year. then it's understandable. I will likely never pass a 180" though. Sheesh is right!

Top Bottom