Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sainfoin

Anybody ever plant this? I see that it is a perennial and very attractive to deer. Not sure what time of the year to plant this etc. Thanks.

It needs very unique soils. I’d research that. Out west it’s planted. Drought tolerant. I’m being lazy BUT read up on specific soil needs it likes.

I have tried it a couple of times now, with very limited success in terms of germination and growth. Granted, both years that I tried it we experience pretty severe drought, so I am not sure that my experiences was very reliable. Reading Skip's post above...maybe in addition to the drought conditions, my soil wasn't what it needed to be?? FWIW, I did try it in two different plots and I have successfully grown many other plots in those spots over the years.

I have a neighbor up the road that thinks that it is the cat's meow though, he swears by it.

Interesting, I was thinking about trying it. I basically saw it in Welters seed catalog and got me thinking. Wouldn't have to plant it every year like I do with other seed.

I bought some in '09 and drilled it in knowing it was a slow developer as told to me by the dealer out of Colorado. His first name was Harvey and a nice guy to talk to but he is a salesman. He said it would grow anywhere alfalfa would grow. I found that not to be the case. After two growing seasons to give it a chance I pulled the plug on the experiment. I had very little sainfoin take hold. It was easy to kill out and now the clover and grazing alfalfa is doing well in its place.

It apparently needs more than soil where alfalfa will grow.

Top Bottom