Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting Bucks in Closer During the Early Phases of the Rut

The Silence

PMA Member
I'm trying to get a better bead on travel patterns of bucks during the time they're really cruising around before lock down so I can really focus my efforts on funnels more efficiently. At times I've seen lots of bucks, but not close enough to get a shot. The property I hunt is wide open hilly country with doe bedding areas spread all over the place. Another idea I'm thinking about trying next year would be to use a decoy during the time the boys are cruising around. I just need to come up with ways to get them closer for the shot. Often times these bucks seem to be on something like a bus route where they are going from one doe bedding area to another in search of the first hot doe. Have you guys ever used decoys during this phase of the rut, or any other tactics, to try to pull in some of these bucks you may be seeing but who are just not close enough to take a shot?

Down wind of doe bedding areas if doable, funnels and I always throw a snort wheeze at them if they are heading the other way. Paid off more then once.

Top Bottom