Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Straightwallers

I have a question for you 45-70 guys. the case length on 45-70 is 2.1 inches, which isn’t legal. Is there custom ammo available with a shorter case?

I have a question for you 45-70 guys. the case length on 45-70 is 2.1 inches, which isn’t legal. Is there custom ammo available with a shorter case?

What, seriously? I didn't realize they didn't fall into that. Crap.

What, seriously? I didn't realize they didn't fall into that. Crap.
Look back at the regs. They list legal rounds by name and then give the case length requirements to cover uncommon rounds. The .45/70 Govt is listed by name, at least by the former post by Gillespe.

More grey areas. 45-70 does not fit within the case specs of the allowable center-fired staight-walled rimmed cartridge chambered for handgun use, BUT it has been specific listed as an allowable handgun/rifle round. The specifically listed cartridges is the same list from the past allowable handgun cartradges, they just added /rifles before the list. I think you can use a rifle chambered in any of the listed cartridges, or a rifle chambered for any handgun cartridge that fits the specs. Makes complete sense right.

More grey areas. 45-70 does not fit within the case specs of the allowable center-fired staight-walled rimmed cartridge chambered for handgun use, BUT it has been specific listed as an allowable handgun/rifle round. The specifically listed cartridges is the same list from the past allowable handgun cartradges, they just added /rifles before the list. I think you can use a rifle chambered in any of the listed cartridges, or a rifle chambered for any handgun cartridge that fits the specs. Makes complete sense right.

You are probably right, that would make the most sense, but it’s definitely not clearly stated that way in the regs.

I ordered a ruger 450 BM Monday. Of course it went on backorder the same time. Called cabelas and they weren't showing a back in stock date at that time

I called my local CO and he assured me 45-70 was good to go per page 32 of the regs.

Phew! Gunna slay some does with it and my 500 Smith!

I don't know if I'll gun hunt with it but I bought a Henry 45-70 with the hardened steel stock. Tack driver with a scope, might use it calling coyotes at the very least

I have the same gun, almost too pretty to hunt with, what load have you found to be accurate in yours?

Bringing this back to the top. For anybody who actually hunted with a straight wall rifle this fall would love to hear how things went.

Saw one used on my land in my Blind with me sitting next to it. ;). (Yes, heck, maybe I’ll catch flack for that- which is ok :) )......
Holy cow- absolutely decimated some deer. 245 yards I watched a doe get easily pummeled in boiler room and drop like pile of bricks. 250-ish lbs live weight bully buck also got plastered at about 150 yards.
So- im sure not a good conclusionary commenter and This post is actually pretty neutral.... 1) it frigin blew the tar outta those deer! 2) I should have worn hearing protection- omg, I may have hurt my ears even worse. 3) accuracy and killing power is incredible (.450bm w/20” ported barrel) & the deer shot at 245 yards made me look at it like “dang, that’s a rifle and that deer just got smashed!” That’s my experience & I hopefully will be able to hear again by 2027 or looking into some massive hearing aids now ;). (My fault!!!). That’s some power.
*just to clarify so we don’t wind up in debate- sure- I wish law didn’t happen. But it did.... end of that.... and I did watch what those guns can do and carefully allowed one on my land to see. They are incredible guns!!

Last edited:
I heard one volley of shots that I assume came from an AR straight wall. Rattled them 10 rounds off pretty fast. Made me freaking cringe.

I heard one volley of shots that I assume came from an AR straight wall. Rattled them 10 rounds off pretty fast. Made me freaking cringe.

Good, bad or indifferent..... Ya, I couldn't imagine a group of 10-15 guys doing gun drives with AR's with the range, power, speed and capacity of them. Guy sitting next to me... I was his "babysitter" and it was one shot out of a blind per deer. He had 9+1 mags. Just saying it "how it is"..... And yes, I'm not even a fan of the safety of slug guns with groups and RUNNING DEER but man, AR's, running deer and big groups, yikers - I'd be hunkered down in that fox hole calling "broken arrow" waiting for air support to clear the fire power being exchanged. Yikers!!! Be safe fellas! :)

Admittedly, I was a bit puzzled when I first read the "Straight wall regulations". Once I got it puzzled out, it did birth an interesting idea. I wouldn't mind having a single-shot break-barrel for deer, maybe a double rifle. Blame it on growing up reading Allan Quatermain while everyone else was reading Harry Potter. I've seen a few chambered for 45/70 Govt or .44 Mag, and if the regs relax further I know where to get one in .416 Rigby. Keep the sporting spirit and save my shotgun for pheasants. Thoughts?

Admittedly, I was a bit puzzled when I first read the "Straight wall regulations". Once I got it puzzled out, it did birth an interesting idea. I wouldn't mind having a single-shot break-barrel for deer, maybe a double rifle. Blame it on growing up reading Allan Quatermain while everyone else was reading Harry Potter. I've seen a few chambered for 45/70 Govt or .44 Mag, and if the regs relax further I know where to get one in .416 Rigby. Keep the sporting spirit and save my shotgun for pheasants. Thoughts?

Love the idea. I was admittedly calling myself a cowboy all 1st season weekend. Had the lever gun over the shoulder and my 500 Smith on my waist. Was alot of fun.

My nephew as well as his son both took first season does off of my farm with one of the single shot 44 mags. Not real long range but well placed shots did the job just fine. Nephew appreciated the lack of muzzle blast & his son appreciated the lack of recoil.

Saw one used on my land in my Blind with me sitting next to it. ;). (Yes, heck, maybe I’ll catch flack for that- which is ok :) )......
Holy cow- absolutely decimated some deer. 245 yards I watched a doe get easily pummeled in boiler room and drop like pile of bricks. 250-ish lbs live weight bully buck also got plastered at about 150 yards.
So- im sure not a good conclusionary commenter and This post is actually pretty neutral.... 1) it frigin blew the tar outta those deer! 2) I should have worn hearing protection- omg, I may have hurt my ears even worse. 3) accuracy and killing power is incredible (.450bm w/20” ported barrel) & the deer shot at 245 yards made me look at it like “dang, that’s a rifle and that deer just got smashed!” That’s my experience & I hopefully will be able to hear again by 2027 or looking into some massive hearing aids now ;). (My fault!!!). That’s some power.
*just to clarify so we don’t wind up in debate- sure- I wish law didn’t happen. But it did.... end of that.... and I did watch what those guns can do and carefully allowed one on my land to see. They are incredible guns!!

You make it sound like a howitzer.

Honestly I don't see how it could be any more deadly than a muzzle loader shooting the same bullet at nearly the same velocity or a 3" shotgun slug flinging a 385 grain saboted slug at 1900fps+. Any of the three kills them just as dead.

Top Bottom