Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Michigan Boy in need of advice

Hey guys, I'm planning a trip to Iowa and need some help... I want to do a DIY bowhunt and need to know where to look. I realize it'll take 2 or 3 yrs to draw a tag but I want to start planning now. I understand zones 4, 5 and 6 are the most popular... How must public ground are in these zones and are they my best bet for killing a mature buck? I've heard some farmers will let you hunt their property for a "trespass fee", is this true? It's 8 1/2 hours from Michigan so a few scouting trips before hand will be in the works. If anyone can point me in the right direction it'll be greatly appreciated. PM's welcome!

Thanks
Whitetail Whisperer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't know about zone 5 or 6 but to draw a bow tag in zone 4 it takes 4 or 5 years. Didn't get drawn this year with 3 points so now I have 4 will get a tag next year, but that's a 5 year wait. Tag price $571.95 +app. fee 78.95 per year x 4 =$315.80 total tag price $887.75. Good Luck.

Well here's the deal, find the thickest, hilliest far away from the road spot as possible. Any of those zones you listed will work. I wouldn't rule out the zones close to the ol mississippi. Those hills are notorious for some bruiser bucks. I'd also get your expectations in check. The real giant studs very rarely show in daylight. If I were you I'd check out the HUNTING PUBLIC ON YOUTUBE. Those guys hunt all public land. So if I were u, id watch as many if their videos as possible. They have great reccomendations.

Finding the right landowner might be difficult but you have time on your side. You should be able to get an encounter with a mature buck if you do you homework. Read as much as you can by Dan Infalt and as stated The Hunting Public puts out some good content. Also the river to the east provides some good public options

I'm very familiar with hunting public land as that's what I hunt here in Michigan. The Michigan mentality of "it's brown it's down" makes it almost impossible to kill mature animals because they just don't exist. These guys kill 1.5yr old bucks like it's going outta style. I've killed 3 bucks over 100" in 15 yrs of bowhunting public land. Hunting highly pressured deer is nothing new to me. I've heard all the stories and seen the pictures, Iowa hunters have a different mindset. I'm 100% sure I can get the job done out there... I really just need a starting point.

Google Iowa DNR hunting atlas. That is where I would start and where I do a lot of looking myself. I have no clue what zones are what but get as far away from "bigger" cities as possible and your hunting pressure goes down. Then use what you've learned in Michigan and you should be able to have decent luck. I hunt public quite a bit and it can be frustrating but I would venture to guess some public land gets less pressure than some private land in the state.

Do what you do on Michigan public and you'll find success. Public changes dramatically from year to year, so even if someone gives you a starting point, it's not a substitute for scouting multiple spots and giving yourself options. It takes 4 years to draw, so set aside more than one week to get it done and sit tight all day. Public pressure drops off after about the 14th so if you focus on the latter part of November you can have more areas to yourself with great hunting. The hunting atlas is a great resource, but another piece of advice I can give, is to pull up the county assessor site and find public pieces that are bordered by large continuous tracts of private that appear to be managed or just thick nasty stuff. If you can find a public piece in a well managed area, you'll be in the bucks if you hunt hard. Good luck.

It's a risky road you're taking!!! I tried the same approach 20 years ago..... Long story short.... I went to Iowa from MI and never came back!!! ;)
No idea on getting a good farm - it's such a roll of the dice. Overhunted pummeled stuff isn't worth the drive so - you just need to verify whatever you find. It's a long shot but.... I'd go to a county that's not quite as publicized, out in middle of no where (like, lot of timber but fewest amount of people living in that county)..... I'd spend 3 solid days knocking on door after door after door. Do it for 3 days straight.... Bet, if you can do 20-30 doors..... Bet you get 2-3 places. And you need more than one for ton of reasons. Could offer $. Up to you. That's more work (kinda) than just throwing $ at someone for access BUT - I think throwing $ for access, on average, will get you on overhunted ground that's top ended & over hunted. IMO.

Most private I know of still open anyone is welcome, not ideal. At least with public you have rules people should follow. Also no motorized vehicles is a plus. I would spend spare time walking and scouting public over knocking on doors personally. Lots of information on the ground when the snow melts in the spring. I would also set aside a good chunk of time the year you hunt. A week isn't much time. Two is better at least. I would scout some each year for sure, might come up with leads on private just being in the area a few times. Also other than big ridges I believe the closer to the river you are the more hunters there are. The most reputable and largest chunks draw the most people. Areas with multiple pieces in driving range are a plus

Sligh, I've got 12 yrs left in the auto factory and I can retire. I'll be 51 with a lot of life ahead of me (God willing). My plan is to move to Iowa shortly after retirement. Deer hunting is my passion and it's what I was put on this earth to do... Not work lol

Joe, I'll send you a PM. I'd be happy with any one of those bucks. I know the potential to harvest a 180" deer is there.

I am heading out this spring to scout. I will be targeting zone 8. I have been given permission to hunt a tract east of Goose Lake. That is where I will start. Sleeper pockets in this zone. Ride Share?

I am heading out this spring to scout. I will be targeting zone 8. I have been given permission to hunt a tract east of Goose Lake. That is where I will start. Sleeper pockets in this zone. Ride Share?
Rudy, I'm interested!! PM me your plans on length of trip and dates you plan to be gone.

Top Bottom