Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Abaco Island Bahamas (Pt 2)

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
On our third day on Abaco, we lounged on the beach; nothing exciting, but pure relaxation. On our fourth day, we did a mixed-bag trip that included bottom fishing, visiting the famous swimming pigs, and going to a cove where you could swim with, and feed, stingrays. Today is just pics of the fishing. We caught rock hind, strawberry grouper, trigger fish, and a parrot fish. I caught two of the trigger fish, but, generally, got outfished (again). I think my favorite part was watching the kids enjoy the action. When it was time to wrap up the fishing part, Jacob was genuinely bummed. He'd have stayed and fished all day (can't blame him) and it was hard for me to tell him that we couldn't! We had quite a few fish, but we ate very well for two nights after that!

20171221_091827.jpg
20171221_091830.jpg
20171221_102439.jpg
20171221_102926.jpg
20171221_103050.jpg
20171221_111531.jpg
20171221_112749.jpg
20171221_112946.jpg
20171223_111521.jpg
20171221_114629.jpg

Sounds like a great experience! Looking at those fish, a question came to mind. Does a person eat about everything you catch? I don't know enough about ocean species to figure out what fish would be "carp". :confused:

Sounds like a great experience! Looking at those fish, a question came to mind. Does a person eat about everything you catch? I don't know enough about ocean species to figure out what fish would be "carp". :confused:

I've done just enough ocean fishing to know these were all good eating. Parrot fish was the only one I've not eaten before, but a good guide will tell you what is and isn't good. There aren't too many "carp" in the ocean. The only thing I won't eat are sharks, bill fish, bonefish, tarpon, and permit. Bonefish and tarpon make carp look like a delicacy (I love smoked carp, though), but most bonefish, tarpon, and permit fisheries are strictly catch and release for the fishery.

In my limited salt water fishing experience, the guide(s) know which fish are good to eat and so forth. As I recall, there was a very well defined "pecking order" as to which fish was better than another, etc. Me...I just reeled them in. :) One neat thing about salt water fishing is that there is wide variety of looks with the fish, which I find entertaining.

• Deleted by Central Iowa
Show…
Awesome fishing, lots of good smiles and some awesome eating ahead of you. Love fishing the Ocean!!!

Thanks for sharing buddy.

Top Bottom