Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2108 changes definition of what is and isn't bait for deer and sets distances from baited areas.

Should HF 2108 changing baiting defintions be adopted?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Minerals during season offer nothing in terms of attracting bucks. You should be able to sit in one in my opinion.

I have to beg to differ with you and Sligh on this one. Bucks learn that does hang around licks, so when they are cruising during the rut, they will check them out. I'll concede that they maybe aren't there for the mineral, but they have learned that the area is the deer version of a college pickup bar. I've gotten pics of great bucks visiting licks midday during the rut.

Last edited:
This topic is very personal and sensitive to many hunters for good reason. I could go on for days but to keep it short I WISH both baiting and mineral dumps would get outlawed... so no I don’t like this proposal.

The biggest problem I see is that it will basically promote longer shots... A lot more people trying 50ud bow shots and 200 yard gun shots... And lets face it, the average guy has no business taking either of those shots

• Deleted by rutnstrut
Show…
The way I see the proposed law on baiting: Even if you're 205 yards from a bait pile and the deer is with in the 200 yards you can not shoot it.

Good point. I had not considered that intrepretation. At least that helps stop shooting them off of the bait pile, but doesn't stop hunting the travel route to bait.

I am with Ishi on this one. I'd prefer to see bait and mineral both banned.

The way I see the proposed law on baiting: Even if you're 205 yards from a bait pile and the deer is with in the 200 yards you can not shoot it.

Ya thats a food question... What has to be the minimum distance away you, or the deer, or both???

I have to beg to differ with you and Sligh on this one. Bucks learn that does hang around licks, so when they are cruising during the rut, they will check them out. I'll concede that they maybe aren't there for the mineral, but they have learned that the area is the deer version of a college pickup bar. I've gotten pics of great bucks visiting licks midday during the rut.

I'm with Sligh on this one. For about 10 years, I often sat in a tree where I could watch a mineral site (a legal distance away :)). One time in 10 years I saw a lone fawn actually put its head down at the site. Other than that, it was not used. Deer walked by the area, but nobody actually used the lick. Trail camera over the same lick verified that it was virtually untouched during the fall/winter. I wouldn't waste my time hunting over a mineral site even if it was legal!

I'm with Sligh on this one. For about 10 years, I often sat in a tree where I could watch a mineral site (a legal distance away :)). One time in 10 years I saw a lone fawn actually put its head down at the site. Other than that, it was not used. Deer walked by the area, but nobody actually used the lick. Trail camera over the same lick verified that it was virtually untouched during the fall/winter. I wouldn't waste my time hunting over a mineral site even if it was legal!

Not sure why the difference, but from Oct 1 to Dec 1, I got 1,000 pics. Maybe it has to do with the location.

I definitely agree with you and Sligh that hunting over either one would qualify as a idiot. If anyone does hunt this way....... man up and kill a deer the right way

I too have camera over a mineral site that has averaged over 300 deer pics a week in that same time frame but not one used the mineral site. All just passing by. It’s a major trail between bedding and a food plot but the mineral gets no attention after mid-September. Maybe the area but unless one were hunting velvet bucks in late August, I don’t see mineral as a draw.

Last edited:
One of our mineral sites can be seen from one of our stands, and it has been this way for years. I have never seen any sign of deer using that mineral site during the hunting season. The most they do is sometimes walk by it on a nearby trail. FWIW, this year, perhaps due to the super dry conditions, we didn't have nearly the same success with getting buck pictures on the minerals all summer long.

I would think as hunters we would want to stay away from these practices if there was even a 5% chance it would spread cwd. We can't control all contact but wouldn't we want to do what we can? IMO cwd had to be all over the state, if they test enough they will find it. Any higher concentration or meeting place created by humans must hurt our chances. I used to use mineral and put out hay, but do neither outside the season now. Hay piles we're covered in manure mixed in with the feed. I feel like it's my responsibility to do what I can til more info is available. The " not in my area" mentality is going to hurt us all

The biggest problem I see is that it will basically promote longer shots... A lot more people trying 50ud bow shots and 200 yard gun shots... And lets face it, the average guy has no business taking either of those shots

Point taken but I don't think 200 yards is very far at all. I don't consider myself a great marksman but 200 yards is a chip shot. The distance needs to be much greater with some language about feed shall not be a factor in the hunting... ie.... if feed is 600 yards away but you are hunting trail going to it, its still illegal..... some wordsmithing needed, but ya get my point.

Point taken but I don't think 200 yards is very far at all. I don't consider myself a great marksman but 200 yards is a chip shot. The distance needs to be much greater with some language about feed shall not be a factor in the hunting... ie.... if feed is 600 yards away but you are hunting trail going to it, its still illegal..... some wordsmithing needed, but ya get my point.

Well youre sort of correct... 200yds isnt that far with the right equipment and someone who knows how to use it... But for the guys still hunting with open sight slug guns and or smooth bore barrels its way to far but given the chance to hunt ober bait 200yds away Im sure the amount of people taking those kind of shots will increase drastically

Passed out of sub committee on the 31st. Subcommittee recommends amendment and passage. As far as I know amendments have yet to be proposed though.

This bill, to me, defines fair chase as hunting over bait at a minimum distance of 200 yards or mineral at 50 yards.

Passed out of sub committee on the 31st. Subcommittee recommends amendment and passage. As far as I know amendments have yet to be proposed though.

This bill, to me, defines fair chase as hunting over bait at a minimum distance of 200 yards or mineral at 50 yards.

This will get abused big time if they don't change this!

I'm concerned about this one. Mineral piece is fine. I think the other piece will get abused grotesquely. I wrote Tyler at the DNR. Who has an updated list of legislators?

What shocks me is 55% of the voters on this site are in favor of baiting for deer. What is next????

Top Bottom