Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Floating tags" observation

Fishbonker

Life Member
For those of you keeping track there are currently three bills in the legislature that would allow what I call floating tags, good for any season until it is filled. Youth, nonambulatory and landowner.

Coincidence? Maybe.

Will they all pass? Maybe.

Is purchasing a floating tag for everyone just around the corner?

I have wondered about that myself. If it was an option for everyone I could get on board but I would like to see it come with a one buck limit. I am sure that would not be popular. I also think it would lead to falling revenue for the DNR unless they double the price for that tag, which I would have no problem with. I think anything that reduces the DNR tag revenue will lead to discussions about increasing the quota of NR tags or changing the NRLO tag rules.

I have two kids that use youth tags. I get a landowner tag. And I don't think any of them need to be good outside the season I buy them for. There are plenty of opportunities for kids and landowners. Even without any of these "extra tags" my kids could hunt early or late muzzy with an any sex tag and shotgun season with doe tags. I can do the same plus an any sex archery tag (kids cant pull back a heavy enough bow yet so they sit out archery season.)

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
For those of you keeping track there are currently three bills in the legislature that would allow what I call floating tags, good for any season until it is filled. Youth, nonambulatory and landowner.

Coincidence? Maybe.

I highly doubt we see floating tags for all. That would affect revenue, which they certainly do not want to do. They are looking for more money, not less.

Coincidence? Maybe.

Ya but if it came with a one buck per hunter instead of 2 or 3 just think how much better the hunting would be in a few years... More time to fill your tag, people being a little more picky, and less bucks shot overall. Id love to have a floating tag and I wouldnt even care if it was the only any sex tag I got

I could see giving Landowners the Flexible tag for any season and then only allowing one other Any sex tag. Not a ONE buck limit. That would reduce the anysex tag from 3 to 2 and give landowners more flexibility.

I would agree with making the Landowner any sex tag if it was flexible, to increase the cost from $1. or $2, to the regular $27, that would the revenue wouldn't decrease.

Ya but if it came with a one buck per hunter instead of 2 or 3 just think how much better the hunting would be in a few years... More time to fill your tag, people being a little more picky, and less bucks shot overall. Id love to have a floating tag and I wouldnt even care if it was the only any sex tag I got
How does this really make the overall hunting better with landowners shooting 1 buck compared to 2 or 3? I mean, maybe for the landowner that normally shoots the first thing he sees, he now has 2 otherwise dead bucks at least a year older. But for a lot of landowners, don't they just end up with a bunch of bucks dying from old age because they can't shoot them? Being devil's advocate a little sure but I don't see how it makes for better hunting overall. Because when I think overall, I think about non landowners and landowners alike. Maybe a properties big buck holding threshold gets met and big bucks are moving to other nonlandowner properties? Idk

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have two kids that use youth tags. I get a landowner tag. And I don't think any of them need to be good outside the season I buy them for. There are plenty of opportunities for kids and landowners. Even without any of these "extra tags" my kids could hunt early or late muzzy with an any sex tag and shotgun season with doe tags. I can do the same plus an any sex archery tag (kids cant pull back a heavy enough bow yet so they sit out archery season.)
We are in a similar position and I agree.

Also on another note regarding floating youth tags. Has anyone ever heard the phrase "leave them wanting more" ? Too much of a good thing can be just that, too much.

When I lived in Ohio you bought an any sex deer tag and you could fill it with any legal weapon during any applicable deer season (I assume this is what is meant by a floating tag?). I thought it was goofy when I moved out here and you had to buy a tag per season/weapon. I also thought it was odd you could shoot 2 bucks. I would assume some folks may prefer a single 'floating' any sex tag versus getting two tags if they are happy with a single deer but like to have the opportunity to hunt all seasons.

Thinking of all the tags I’ve eaten over the years it would be nice to float but I get the revenue thing. Maybe offer a higher priced tag that you can float throughout the seasons and offer a second tag at the regular price after your first tag is registered/harvest is made. Second tag would be strictly for the following legal season of take only.

Just think how pissed Farm Bureau would be !

Minnesota used to have a sportsman's tag, years back if I remember correctly. Was good for archery, muzzleloader, and one gun I think. I would say if you want this luxury you only get one buck tag. I personally like it the way it is. Pay less, buy more tags possibly. Got to have an end somewhere. That's the problem, can't we have limits and and constraints? We as hunters cannot police ourselves, there is a percentage that it's never enough. Have to make a choice more options, or less bucks.

It’s easy to see where this would negatively affect revenue. I personally would buy a statewide bow tag then use the floating tag to hunt the shotgun seasons and if I didn’t fill it then I would use it for late muzzle loader season rather than buying a tag for that season. As side note, I would most likely use it to hunt early muzzle loader season as well. Wow, I think I talked myself into liking this proposal... But seriously any decrease in funding for the DNR is a bad thing; I would expect to pay for a “floating tag”.

I see where this helps the landowners... The rest of the seasons/normal seasons (youth, bow, shotgun, muzzy), I think needs to have a start and an end date, period. Someone stated "Leave them wanting more"... Thats exactly what needs to happen with most... The landowner will only affect their property in all of the seasons, and give themselves a bit of a chance if they are farmers that usually have harvest, but have a wet fall and cant be out. It doesnt tie them up.
However that being said, if that were to happen, I think they need to take a real hard look at Landowner tags and qualifications. I only bring it up because I know of my two neighbors, who live in town, that do not own any ground, get LOT tags. They only get the tags now because our county doesnt sell doe tags. I also know one more person, who his dad and himself all get LOT tags, so each person gets 4 tags on one 40 acre parcel. I dont think that is right either. But now I am just complaining..

Top Bottom