Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2166 Spread of diseases in wild animals

Should HF 2166 alowing the NRC to set rules for disease managemnt zones be adopted?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Myself and many others have wanted to know the plans of the DNR on dealing with CWD or other infectious diseases. If this gets passed the sky could start falling with only 24 hours notice.

First off I don't have a dog in this fight. You'll be sorry you let any DNR get involved in any activity of controlling CWD. Just stop and think. How many deer die from CWD? How many die from EHD? CWD is nothing compared to EHD and EHD has been around forever. CWD is approaching forever status. If facts are correct CWD only takes around 10% of the deer in a active year. Just waiting for some state DNR wanting to vaccinate the herd. But paid snipers at night over corn is much more fun. And I know a person who gets paid to do this.

I’m very surprised this bill is getting very little discussion. Maybe it’s out of site out of mind due to the topic of this bill.
Thoughts????
I find Section 1 line 22-27 interesting

This line from the legislation: "preventing the artificial movement of wild animals". We all know that trucking "wild" deer around brought CWD here. :rolleyes:

I don't think the current instances of CWD were due to hunters bringing carcasses back into the state. Let's put the focus on the real culprit, unscrupulous "game" farms.

The knee jerk reaction by game management agencies seems to be kill them all, test them all. A study or two I've read suggest that some cervids have a genetic resistance . So let's kill them all too so that we will never naturally find our way out of this mess. It seems like nature found a way to overcome diseases long before "man knew better".

This line from the legislation: "preventing the artificial movement of wild animals". We all know that trucking "wild" deer around brought CWD here. :rolleyes:

I don't think the current instances of CWD were due to hunters bringing carcasses back into the state. Let's put the focus on the real culprit, unscrupulous "game" farms.

The knee jerk reaction by game management agencies seems to be kill them all, test them all. A study or two I've read suggest that some cervids have a genetic resistance . So let's kill them all too so that we will never naturally find our way out of this mess. It seems like nature found a way to overcome diseases long before "man knew better".

Yahbut, before I get my Super Bowl Buzz on, I've been to 6 CWD presentations since last fall. The only mention of captive cervids (deer farming) is that they (the DNR guys) are not there to point fingers. In other words they have been gaged on the issue. The theory for NE Iowa is swimming deer. CAMPFIRE TALK: Except down by Elkader where there was some kind of deer or elk farm less than a mile away from the first case.

As far as genetic resistance, there is an elk cow that has survived being in a pen that is known to be contaminated with the CWD prion even though the other elk she was in there with died of CWD. That would suggest the genetic resistance theory. However, I did come across a study (it was a while ago, maybe a year or so and referenced it in another thread) that talked about the possibility of genetic resistance and debunked it. It's all about the alleles, right?

We could let nature take its course but how long would it take for natural selection to build the deer herd back up to a huntable level? I'd like to see some kind of modeling for leaving the deer herd as it is today without any extra seasons, Chevys, coyotes, FB imported mountain lions and black bears to see how long it takes all of the susceptible deer to die and be replaced by the non-susceptible deer at the same levels as today. I am concerned with future generations having a deer herd that is huntable and consumable. How many generations of hunters would it take for the deer to dwindle and then how many before it comes back? My favorite saying in instances like this is "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin".

The choice for the Super Bowl is Guinness Blonde American Lager. And I fibbed about "Before I get my Super bowl buzz on". Too late.

Went right to full committee this afternoon and passed 12-0 with one member absent.

Will be placed on the debate calendar.

Last edited:
So- what’s the meat and potatoes of this bill? I’m not trying to be lazy but wondering what The basics will entail if passed?

Top Bottom