Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recap of Our Non Resident DIY Hunt in SE Iowa

Well done to you guys!! I give you props for passing younger bucks and “not having to just kill one” if it wasn’t right for you. I know the tags and land are expensive- props. Great story and agree- Iowa is one of a kind for deer hunting. Folks who have hunted other states - most of which are ravaged - are usually the ones who most appreciate Iowa. Great story.

What’s your future plans for work on that farm- I saw food in the story possibly. It’s a fun & addicting thing to get into!

Thanks !! We certainly wanted to kill a nice buck, but we never got a clear shot. My buddy had the big bodied 8 pictured above at 25 and 35 yards on two different sits but never had a clear shot at him.

On my first sit on Nov. 3 after only about 30 minutes in the stand I blind grunted. I looked to my right and about a 140 -150 inch 10 point was looking straight at me from about 55 yards. I grunted again and he started walking straight to me licking his nose. I reached up for my bow and I think he saw movement. He stopped and then veered off. I grunted again but he did not respond. I thought to myself.....I think I am going like hunting Iowa.:)

I have a field that will be easy to plant. Level ground with easy access. I am thinking clover or brassicas. What do you think ?

Field (Small).jpg

Last edited:
The right angle part of triangle is 180 yards x 100 yards. The hypotenuse side is 200 yards. Thanks for the link !!
Alright, I'm going to be lazy and I deleted 7th grade Geometry from my brain (as well as most of what was taught in school - lobotomy of K-12 & college ;) )..... & I did smile reading the word "hypotenuse", ha!
Though, somehow I'm still good with math.... how many square feet are there or how many acres?

U smarty pants! ;)
1.86 acres.... with that much ground, I’d do dbltree rotation, 10-20% clover and then the remainder split 50/50 between rye mix and brassicas. In the above thread. Rotate back and fourth.

Top Bottom