Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cool Sighting

Central Iowa

Life Member
Seen at least 16 Loons at Big Creek earlier this week. We were calling to them from our phones and got a few responses.
Rare sight in these parts guessing the ice on the lakes up north put the brakes on their migration.
34a5c7b1ef2b7453afd0c1039dda7c57.jpg

283d876eeacc91c640bf16d834fdd991.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to SD, Canada, NE, IA, and MN and I always said the only state I remember seeing loons was MN... until this year! Strange!

Had a pair one fall come into my decoys while out duck hunting. Lucky for us, they sat out in the middle of the lake most of the morning making all kinds of noise. Had they not done that, it might have been a bad situation real fast. Typically doesn't seem like they make the stop in Iowa in the spring much, but the ice this year definitely has lots of waterfowl hung up in this state. Been a very cool spring for bird watching!

No Minnesota lakes reported "ice free" as of yesterday! That's gotta slow down migration some. I've had a half dozen Ringneck Ducks take up residence on my little pond for the past couple weeks. First time I've seen them here in the 20 years the pond has been there. Suspect they would like to see a little global warming kick in so they can continue north... :rolleyes:

No Minnesota lakes reported "ice free" as of yesterday! That's gotta slow down migration some. I've had a half dozen Ringneck Ducks take up residence on my little pond for the past couple weeks. First time I've seen them here in the 20 years the pond has been there. Suspect they would like to see a little global warming kick in so they can continue north... :rolleyes:

Yes sir talked to my cousin today in spirit lake they still have 17 inches of bad ice. He said any open water that’s up there is completely full of all kinds of water fowl .

Top Bottom