Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Everything Turkey 2018

Ishi

PMA Member
A thread for all things turkey 2018. Hunt reports, gobbling activity, Turkey sightings, stories , photos, and videos.
Tuesday night probably was my best hunt ever but the results weren’t the best. This guy came out at 3:00.
748cb06f9fac1f5f15225ba0dd64688e.jpg

I looked out the back of the blind and seen hens and strutters 400 yards away so I made a few call on my new Ishi call
804db8752e9cbfb787e77e747f98ec57.jpg

and the group did a 180 and started my way. The first Tom gobbled right behind the blind but came out offering no shot. He stayed out 50 yards fanned and gobbling.
A few minutes later the other two did a double gobble just feet behind the blind and one bird actually hit the blind when they hopped the fence.
They came around the blind side by side quartering away and I took the shot to early he was strutting and his head was tucked. The Tactacam battery was dead but the Cuddeback on video showed a blade glanced off the body and nicked his neck.

They ran 15 yards to the left so l reloaded and the other turkey offered a shot. I’m on my knees shooting to my right. I thought the Bullhead would clear the blind but it didn’t.
Second hunt on my brand new blind and new battle marks. Repair time tonight with TearAid.

d84a97475b0d22c7bfd40bd230ef70dd.jpg

It was a great hunt and I’ll shoot the bow tonight at the barn to make sure I’m sighted in. I’ll be back at it Thursday morning. Congrats to all that have been successful so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Muddy, I think that "feather ball" from your daughter's turkey was so big that it probably showed up on space satellite. :)

Muddy, I think that "feather ball" from your daughter's turkey was so big that it probably showed up on space satellite. :)
I was watching the YouTube video Thomas made me (for the 30th time) and noticed the back bird run up again. His mangled tail really is funny.

I went out yesterday morning and the toms were fired up. I was trying to work 3 toms in a pocket east of me all morning but when they finally showed they were henned up and wanted nothing to do with me. I watched them follow the hens over the hill then decided to pick up and move across the road at about 10.

I stopped at a field gate and let out a couple yelps and one responded but i could tell he was in the middle of the section. I dropped the gate and headed up into the section but as I crested the hill I ran into 3 toms and about 10 hens.

The hens hurried down into a pocket but the toms just kept strutting at 60 yards. I watched the toms to follow the hens over a hump and into the pocket and thought I might as well see if I can sneak up on them. Anybody that's ever tried to sneak up on a turkey knows how that usually goes.

I crawled to the edge of the pocket and could see the hens filtering out of the bottom end so I crawled to a position that would allow me a shot when the toms followed.

I waited for a bit but couldn't locate the toms so I had figured I must of spooked them until one let out a gobble on the opposite end of the pocket. I crawled back to my original spot and just waited to see what was going to happen.

The toms ended up making their way around and back to my side of the pocket but walked over a little hump in the pasture at about 75 yards. I figured that was that but they must of decided to come back for the hens and that put me right between the hens and the toms.

At this point the toms are walking/strutting right at me. I'm wearing a black sweatshirt no hat, mask, gloves ect. The lead tom broke and headed back into the pocket that I had figured at about 35-40 yards. I waited for him to get behind a tree and drew my bow. The back two toms caught me drawing and started get nervous so the lead tom turned and started walking away.

I settled my 40 yard pin at the base of his neck figuring that would give me a little cushion on yardage and let it fly. He must of been around 40 yards because the arrow hit him perfectly between the wing joints. He hardly flopped.

I went out yesterday morning and the toms were fired up. I was trying to work 3 toms in a pocket east of me all morning but when they finally showed they were henned up and wanted nothing to do with me. I watched them follow the hens over the hill then decided to pick up and move across the road at about 10.

I stopped at a field gate and let out a couple yelps and one responded but i could tell he was in the middle of the section. I dropped the gate and headed up into the section but as I crested the hill I ran into 3 toms and about 10 hens.

The hens hurried down into a pocket but the toms just kept strutting at 60 yards. I watched the toms to follow the hens over a hump and into the pocket and thought I might as well see if I can sneak up on them. Anybody that's ever tried to sneak up on a turkey knows how that usually goes.

I crawled to the edge of the pocket and could see the hens filtering out of the bottom end so I crawled to a position that would allow me a shot when the toms followed.

I waited for a bit but couldn't locate the toms so I had figured I must of spooked them until one let out a gobble on the opposite end of the pocket. I crawled back to my original spot and just waited to see what was going to happen.

The toms ended up making their way around and back to my side of the pocket but walked over a little hump in the pasture at about 75 yards. I figured that was that but they must of decided to come back for the hens and that put me right between the hens and the toms.

At this point the toms are walking/strutting right at me. I'm wearing a black sweatshirt no hat, mask, gloves ect. The lead tom broke and headed back into the pocket that I had figured at about 35-40 yards. I waited for him to get behind a tree and drew my bow. The back two toms caught me drawing and started get nervous so the lead tom turned and started walking away.

I settled my 40 yard pin at the base of his neck figuring that would give me a little cushion on yardage and let it fly. He must of been around 40 yards because the arrow hit him perfectly between the wing joints. He hardly flopped.

Nice job Bowteck84!!

The blind was repaired with Tear-Aid. This product works wonders on arrow holes and rips and tears to keeps them from getting larger. Very simple to use just follow the instructions and holds like iron.
8fd8520e52cec3f4904604ba87a4a996.jpg

b24f2df2e844bd5c4699dc67d0f6fd3b.jpg

Almost like brand new and ready for the next mishap
56165e1f94e62d59abb8f9fb85b2950e.jpg

My season hasn’t even started yet!! We’ve had 50 inches of snow in the last 30 days. North central Iowa.

The switch shut off after fly down dead out here so far. A buddy a few miles away reported the same.
2abad019d6c17c268101457b27c982f5.jpg

9e79da563e2e19ab8ce47e7e9728ace7.jpg

65fcbcca8774383026c7b81d547c0645.jpg

Heavy frost on the decoys
979d0adb2dad4eda38402be959b1d377.jpg

91881c347fc03af4a2f333013294da06.jpg

Have seen 5 strutters, one was right here before we set up. Snuck in and hope he comes back in this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Birds EVERYWHERE now that the sun is out.20180419_160922.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IAtaxidermist, that was freaking hilarious!!!

Reminds me of a friend of mines sister after she shot and tug a long beard that she put in a garbage bag in the back of her SUV for the trip home. Going down the highway she hears rustling and looks in her rear mirror to see the gobbler looking over the seat at hear! After screaming and almost wrecking she pulled off the road, the turkey eventually succumbed to his injuries but had blood and feathers all over the inside of her vehicle. I still chuckle at that one every time I see her brother.

625ec7eddaf2f53536ea18315d67038f.jpg

Question for the day.

This question is about bowhunting turkeys. How close to the roost is close enough. I’ve killed turkeys close to the roost at the place I hunted yesterday but usually they won’t come in.
At this location I normally set up 100 yards from where they roost on a creek with marshes on the other side.
That was the case yesterday they jumped down and I never seen a turkey until I moved by blind to small plot at noon. It’s always fun to be close cause it gets the blood flowing but from my experiences once they move out the odds decrease.
Share your thoughts and opinions thanks.

• Deleted by goatman
Show…
Top Bottom