Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kaylee's cold turkey hunt

This was her first year as a non-youth hunter. So we last minute did the online hunter's ed and hunters ed field day and got her all the license requirements for an adult hunter. Then the biggest trick was picking a season to fit around her softball schedule. That left us 2 hunts for 1st and 2 hunts for 2nd with no 3rd or 4th season options. So she said lets go 1st. OK that leaves us Monday morning or Wednesday evening. Both the crappiest days of the spring turkey season. So we head out into Monday morning's blow. We set up on a field edge which was a mistake in the wind. All morning long the toms strutted in the woods 100-200yds behind us and I couldn't pull any of them. We were getting a crosswind through the blind that was just bone chilling. So we finally get a little action with 4 jakes that came out and just stood in the decoys with not intentions of killing they just walk off. Then around 830 finally here comes a tom from all the way across the field straight to us. I'm fist pumping as its about to go down. Nope, he walks into the woods 50 yds away. At this point, I can tell shes already had enough of the weather and wants to be done with it when I look out and here is 3 jakes at 10ft walking towards the decoys. She tells me I'm going to shoot one. This kid has shot 5 toms in her hunting career and zero jakes. So it took me a little while to convince myself to give her the green light as I so badly wanted her to kill a tom. Anyhow thinking back on this hunt I'm just glad she got to go with me on one hunt this year no matter the outcome to make a memory. The jake ended up being 18.6 lbs which I thought was pretty decent sized for a jake.

Top Bottom