Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Abby's 1st bird

muddy

Abby is our oldest... She beats Olivia by 2 minutes at the most! Anyway, she is also the most timid and afraid to try anything new. She busted her collarbone little over a year ago and since then has complained of pain in it off and on. She had to quit gymnastics due to it and I really do believe that her shooting the 20 gauge does pop her more than her siblings. That being said once they tagged out peer pressure put her up to bat. We went by ourselves to practice and she shot one low brass 2 3/3" and then one high brass 2 3/4" #6 pheasant load. The pattern gave me confidence, but knew we'd want one close.

For 4 or 5 hunts I've been noticing a bird off the driveway about 300 yards. He would dart into the ditch as soon as you hit the gravel. Well, last night I drove down there and set the blind up at noon and staked it down with 6 stakes hoping for a Saturday morning murder. This morning we got in early and moved the blind a bit more and got set up. Around 0700 this guy came from BEHIND us, and I never heard him on roost.

Anyway, he was super timid and when the land owner went down the drive he dove into the ditch, only to reappear closer to us 15 minutes later. He got closer and closer but never commited to the deeks. I moved Abby around a bit and she got on him a bit bit never got a shot off. Eventually he got back behind us at maybe 10 yards. I got real mad and said screw it, we closed one side of the blind and she stuck the gun out the little window. She propped up on my knee and I held the gun steady and got her on the bird. Shooting off her knees out the back she SMASHED him at 8 steps in full strut. No video of shot but plenty of B footage I'll upload next week.

He was a real good bird, not a GOATman bird, but still great 1st bird. I imagine 24#, 10" beard, 1" hooks.

Fun fact, the pic of us together I had already chunked him up. Legs, wings, fan, beard, and boobs were all cut off, but pic looks fairly decent! I'm just amazed all 3 kids got a bird this spring, very VERY blessed.
1c8f2d4189749397344a55cfc4de3693.jpg
121ff0670c5858f879e52e3d288f2c9b.jpg
39988e1d3ebe9d952a56a6b19816f3ad.jpg
6c02b0c80ea189ded9984abf66a349b8.jpg
fb66c89ca413d2e73bbf70fd277c8e11.jpg
b75828e6f72019e3f6a3434986273e67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats buddy! You've had an amazing spring and one you and the family will remember forever!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great work! Congrats to dad and the kiddos!

Exactly! Sounds like the Mudster clan had a banner season! I know you already know this Muddy, but treasure those special times with your kids, they grow up fast! Congrats to all!

That is awesome! It doesn’t even matter if you get one or not, you had one heck of a season already

Exactly! Sounds like the Mudster clan had a banner season! I know you already know this Muddy, but treasure those special times with your kids, they grow up fast! Congrats to all!

Yeah, it's possible I got some dust in my eye walking back to get the truck for her

Fake news.

Well today it sure is. Zagged when I should have Zigged this morning and bumped the flock I was after just a few minutes ago right before I was gonna set up. Pretty much a typical "first hunt where everything goes wrong" for my first solo foray without a kid. At least it'll be out of the way.

Top Bottom