Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gooseberry?

deadeye

Working on some timber cleanup. Forester walked the property with us. Indicated it isn't invasive and to leave it. Wondering what thoughts are of this in the timber? Good for anything? Critter's like it for anything? Keep it or cut it??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working on some timber cleanup. Forester walked the property with us. Indicated it isn't invasive and to leave it. Wondering what thoughts are of this in the timber? Good for anything? Critter's like it for anything? Keep it or cut it??? Thanks

Keep it. Good food source for lot of things. Edible. Doesn’t grow big.

Love it on our place, wildlife love it. We leave it. Never heard of anyone trying to get rid of it. Snacking on the berries is good if you can beat the wildlife to them

OK thanks. I guess I have never found the berries just the thorns... We have a lot of it. Will be killing honeysuckle and the barberry. That is keeping me plenty busy. Especially once the garlic mustard starts coming up again too.

When I was a kid my dad would walk with me through an acre of trees planted on the farm for windbreak for house and cattle almost 100 years ago. We would pick the goose berries, wash, put in bowls with milk and sugar. Very tasty.

When I was a kid my dad would walk with me through an acre of trees planted on the farm for windbreak for house and cattle almost 100 years ago. We would pick the goose berries, wash, put in bowls with milk and sugar. Very tasty.

That quote could make u sound very old!!! ;)

We actually planted some in our garden that get big berries. Yum.

As hunters & land managers.... its crazy how many things exist in the wild that critters love or have value. Deer diet list is pretty insane as well I wouldn’t even begin to list the full diet they eat from natural/native plants.

Yea I did word it a bit bad but my dad is 75 and I'm 50. Wow that felt odd to actually type and read it. Under my greying hair I'm still a spring chicken.:) The trees were planted by my dad's parents.

If I'm in the timber and come across ripe goose berries I'll still pick em and eat them. However that has been a long time ago as I stay out of the timber most of the year.

Top Bottom