Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Not How I Planned On Things Happening

CurtisWalker

So tonight’s hunt did not go in any way the way I had planned. I planned on setting up the blind and pretty much going to roost birds for the morning.

I drive the gator out to about 30 yards to the plot and park it in the CRP grass and gear up. I have my backpack on, double bull blind over my shoulder without the bag so it’s flopping, I’m carrying my bow and camera gear with the other arm. Going to set up on the top hill of the plot, I top the hill and see a turkey down in the bottom. I’m blind (Jed can confirm that) so I don’t know what it is so I just plop down out of sight. Crawl back to the gator to grab the DSD strutter decoy because surely I’m already busted. The stak for it is in my bag still so I put my hand through the wing slit and start crawling. As soon as the bird sees the fan it struts, now I’m not sure if it is a tom or jake (because I can’t see the detail at the distance). He immediately starts coming up the hill and I can see he’s a tom. Then I see a couple more heads with him. Hens. He keeps coming and makes it to about 15 yards where he stops and starts turning to walk away and I draw back and he stands there like a deer in the headlights. With my bad luck on body shots this year I aimed for the neck/head and let the arrow fly it hit its mark and he dropped right there. I ran to get him because with my luck he’d of probably stood up and ran off like nothing had ever happened. As I’m running there’s literally turkeys everywhere leaving the field. Jakes and hens. I didn’t see any other longbeards so I didn’t feel so bad for busting them.

He weighed 24lbs 5 oz , 1 1/8” spurs, 10.5” beard.. Score is 67.8125 ( My highest scoring bird for contest thus far)

Couldn’t be happier with my first reaped bird, and second ever bow turkey.

4d09fc052435eb840a5c05192bcbb3f0.jpg

d541522fcd510fc7a69aacde18343d6f.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Turkeys are so ornery and stubborn that all I ever do anymore is improvise!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hey CW, Fantastic way to go....Glad to see the deke is working out for ya, and you got one to die inside 20yrds...LOL...I got hosed by the high water in the creek last weekend, gonna give it another shot Sunday.

Top Bottom