Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for Late Season Tips

Oak

I'm still fairly new go turkey hunting and I've never been out this late in the season. I'm planning on going tomorrow morning and setting up on a field edge I saw them using 2 and 3 weeks ago. Does anyone have any late season tips?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

It is always best to hunt where you have been seeing them...although 2 or 3 week old spottings may not mean much. Generally, fields are a good choice this late in the season, as the woods normally have greened up quite a bit and can be a little thick to see through, etc. However, with our late spring, I would think that the woods should still be good too. Although many birds have been shot at this point in the season, the ones that remain can now be killable for the first time in weeks...as the hens should be going to nest and a gobbler that normally has multiple hens in tow could now be a bachelor...if not at dawn, then a little later in the morning.

A single gobbler who is still in the mood is what you want! :) Mid morning, 10:00A or so, can be very good at this time of the year, so be patient. Use of decoys can be hit or miss in the late season, I tend not to use them this late, or if I do, I just use a single hen. But results, and opinions, on this vary, so be advised. Good luck.

Be mobile. I don't like using decoys late in the season. If you have a bird hammering off the roost be prepared to make a move to close the distance using cover. As previously stated hens are moving to nest right now. Toms aren't going to come to calling or decoys as they were earlier. They'll expect the hen to almost meet them in the middle or come to them. So like I said just be mobile, and don't be afraid to use a fan to reap into shooting distance if your property or safety allows. Mid day or afternoons on a freshly planted or field with seedlings growing can be a prime set up.

Thanks for the tips. You guys don't use decoys on field edges in late season? The field edge I'm planning on hunting has tall grass and some trees. Behind the trees is a drainage ditch and then crp on the neighbor property. Would potential toms hang up if they hear some calling, but don't see a hen?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom