Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Burnout

Ishi

PMA Member
2018 was going just like 2017 turkey season. With a yanked Bullhead shot the first few days of season then after that I couldn’t get a turkey close no matter what I tried or did. With well over 100 hours in the blind I took the last 13 days off due to serious burnout.
After two weeks blind hunting get really tough for me. The Mrs was out of town for 10 days so I decided to take a break and hopefully be fresh enough to hunt the last weekend. The plan was to hunt Thursday afternoon sleep in the tent and hunt Friday morning then try and find some shrooms.

The blind was set up at 3:30 in the shade to help with the heat. At 5:30 two hens popped out of the fence line at 40 yards and I seen three more birds on the other side of the fence.
They finally got through the fence and they were dirty Jakes. One spooked but the other two stayed. Inching closer I ranged them at 28 yards and thought now or never.
I touched the release and the arrow hit him just in front of the legs half way up. He jumped and flew a short distance to the fence and went down. His buddy thumped on him for several minutes and then gave me a shot at 30.
I tried to double on a pair of Jakes but the shot was low.
My cooler wasn’t big enough so I had to drive the hour back home and with 5 hours of sleep I’m back to the same area.
Trying now for a upgrade as this bird doesn’t score good but this bird will make some good meals on the smoker that I want to try..... Let’s Eat!!! Material

6c98e7170694451d0071db648aaaa903.jpg

53e24dfc1f0695d755a2a37ea653d18a.jpg

c0ef89e226cb9e148039010012c2459d.jpg

63e7fcbdd8e9b48e2b9b3328def2e24c.jpg

Today’s sunrise
0c40065608343f46ef969800e95b328a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mighty fine table fare there. Congrats Ishi and good luck. No pressure just enjoy the day.

Nice job getting back out! It's definitely tough as the season progresses! Congratulations on a great season.

I had a rough go at it last year, so I can relate to the burnout. Just when you think turkey hunting is easy, the birds can put you in your place and serve you a big ole piece of humble pie. Congrats on putting one down!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nice job I'll eat a jake vs tag soup any day!! Good luck to everyone still working hard to make it happen. Zvholk and I will be trying to get my son Cameron his first turkey in the morning.

Top Bottom