Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Camouflaging tree stands

DE2IA

So I am looking to step up my game a bit and add camo to my tree stands. In the past I have zip tied branches to the ladder or nailed branches to the tree itself. I have used real branches and old artificial Christmas tree branches that have worked out great.
I have a few new ladder stands to put up and I wanted to come up with a better system for mounting the branches. I know they sell numerous products but I have quite a few stands and am looking for the cheapest way.
I have considered mounting pieces of pvc pipe to the stands so I could put fresh branches in each year. Or possible mounting a board under the stand platform that has holes in it for sticking branches in.
Was just curious what some of you guys have done to hold branches around your stands.....any good ideas?
Thanks!

I like the artificial Christmas trees. Usually the "branches" are thick wire that can be hammered into the tree and then bent anyway you want. Do it once and you are done.

Yep- Christmas tree or cedars for me. I usually just do cedars cause it’s so easy & just redo em occasionally. PVC works well to so they stay where u want em to.

We built a pvc square with 45 degree turns on each corner and mounted under each ladder stand platform. 3/4 inch tubing and was about six inches sticking out of the 45's, did not work well for us though, the branches always fell out in high wind and made noise when you walked on your platform. We were going to try screwing branches to the tree this year, did you not like that as much?

Screwing branches to the tree works well for your back drop but we were looking to add some cover out front.

The only stands I put camo on are my 2-man ladder stands. They're awesome for sitting long hours. I leave them up year round so deer are totally used to them, and I replace the camo when it falls apart. Cheap burlap camo lasts about a season or two max. The 'wind-proof' camo doesn't stand up to the elements well at all and has to be replaced every season. I have found that military surplus cover / concealing camo works best. The stuff that has strands of green fabric woven into like a big opening fishing net. It stands up to the elements well and lets high winds and driving rain and snow blow right through it, plus it's quiet. I can get away with a ton of movement from the chest down when I'm sitting, and from the waste down when I'm standing. I don't really mess with branches (fake or real), as I try to leave them on the trees I place my stands on in the first place. I know it doesn't look like 'Natural' camouflage to a human, but deer don't see like we do.

Top Bottom