Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Farm Bill

It’s too bad, I think we are going to see crop prices jump in next 5 years and CRP will be even less attractive.
I would like to think you are correct on this, I'm very skeptical tho, I have neighbors here at home with full bins. Some have no idea what they are gonna do come fall. I hope you are correct, most of my neighbors are nervous as a wh--e in church. They will be selling much less than rent/input and insurance. I'm not a farmer but @ here there are small (milk and crop farmers). I know there's been some good years but, not everyone prepared/or thought about the what if. With that being said, rent here at home is crazy, who would have ever thought 400-450 would have been a win/win for rent prices?

Well it takes I will say from the dairy side it will take years to climb out of this hole. One decent year isnt going to go real far. Also 3.25$ corn is probably close to if not 1$ below brake even for many guys I know. That's putting in a crop knowing you will most likely lose 40-50k for 200 acres of corn. I still say 50% cost share is fair and reimbursement has been way to liberal. The program wasn't made to put hign value tillable into crp, or at least shouldn't. It should be for marginal land. Land with erosion issues especially. Here where it's steep it washes like crazy without it. Crp benefits is all to a point, so 50/50 cost is good. But it is a benefit for the landowner as well, probobly more than 50/50. I bet a majority of acres put in these days have a hunting component somewhere. So why should the rest of us have to carry so much of the cost?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well it takes I will say from the dairy side it will take years to climb out of this hole. One decent year isnt going to go real far. Also 3.25$ corn is probably close to if not 1$ below brake even for many guys I know. That's putting in a crop knowing you will most likely lose 40-50k for 200 acres of corn. I still say 50% cost share is fair and reimbursement has been way to liberal. The program wasn't made to put hign value tillable into crp, or at least shouldn't. It should be for marginal land. Land with erosion issues especially. Here where it's steep it washes like crazy without it. Crp benefits is all to a point, so 50/50 cost is good. But it is a benefit for the landowner as well, probobly more than 50/50. I bet a majority of acres put in these days have a hunting component somewhere. So why should the rest of us have to carry so much of the cost?

I'm guessing most on here would not be as pro CRP if it came with a public hunting requirement given the taxpayers are fronting the cost for the rental payment. I am pro CRP given the other benefits but if someone wants the hunting would they not be willing to take less for what is best for them and their ground??

I will give you my two cents on CRP...Agree that it is tax payer dollars and I see the arguments that why should I pay for private land habitat, and then why is it not open to public hunting. I see that argument.

The argument--should we as hunters just let those allocated tax dollars go to someone else instead? In the farm bill, they are cutting back on cost share and payments to CRP....will the overall farm bill be smaller then? If so that is savings, but will that savings just go to another state (maybe Texas) to build facilities for temporary housing of immigrants?

In 2017 Minnesota was awarded 500 million to pay for CREP, permanent grass habitat on farm land (sensitive areas) near creeks and rivers. Minnesota Soil and Water had great success with a previous sign up (competitive rates and 90% cost share).

This time around they cut the payment by 50%. Cost share was still the same. Literally no one is signing up (just a couple dozen statewide)! If they do not get the sign ups, the 500 million will go to someone else.
Minnesota Soil and Water would have been better off with higher rates for more sign ups--this is permanent habitat--with a option to allow public hunting!

If we as a government cut spending overall, I am all for it....but I have big concerns that we will lose acres because the cost share and rates are not going to attract sign ups....we will see?

Note--good farm land along creeks/rivers (buffers) etc...should be eligible for CRP and I am also concerned that will now be forgotten with the lower rates. That could be a big blow. I'd hate to see certain counties lose all their pheasants and buffers/to help with run off, because they have excellent soils.

I'm guessing most on here would not be as pro CRP if it came with a public hunting requirement given the taxpayers are fronting the cost for the rental payment. I am pro CRP given the other benefits but if someone wants the hunting would they not be willing to take less for what is best for them and their ground??
What gets me even more is the farmer that thinks deer are the devil's spawn, wants them all dead, supports the farm bureau in their support of irradication, BUT won't allow people to hunt his ground. I've ran into many of those.

I will give you my two cents on CRP...Agree that it is tax payer dollars and I see the arguments that why should I pay for private land habitat, and then why is it not open to public hunting. I see that argument.

Note, although I am replying to Hardwood here, I am really intending to address the subject of whether or not CRP acres should be opened to public hunting in general, this is the just most recent post on the subject that I am addressing.

Having said that though, I have seen this argument made a number of times over the years, but I am not persuaded that it is a valid one. If you received a federally guaranteed home loan...should I be able to host a party at your house for free? You have after all benefited from a government program...so why shouldn't I as a taxpayer get to share in the use of your home? If you are a small business owner and have received a SBA loan...should I be able to receive services/goods from your business either for free or at discount...since I am taxpayer? Should I be able to hunt someone's timber that is enrolled in Forest Reserve since they are not paying tax on that land and effectively shifting the tax burden to all other fellow taxpayers? Etc, etc.

I don't see it ever happening since there would be lawsuits aplenty, but it isn't a valid line of reasoning IMO.

I in no way advocate the public use of crp. That would be a far bigger deterrent to using the program than anything. Everyone benefits from crp in some way, even as simple as flooding or chemical leaching. We get some.cost share for water ways and buffers but it's not lucrative. It would be better for us to farm those areas and feed those crops. Some of it is a duty and responsibility as a land owner and steward, and it's not free. Just managing the deer isn't enough. I think there is a fair #, and 50/50 seems fair to me. If it's all about the income it will be cash rented anyway.

I in no way advocate the public use of crp. That would be a far bigger deterrent to using the program than anything. Everyone benefits from crp in some way, even as simple as flooding or chemical leaching. We get some.cost share for water ways and buffers but it's not lucrative. It would be better for us to farm those areas and feed those crops. Some of it is a duty and responsibility as a land owner and steward, and it's not free. Just managing the deer isn't enough. I think there is a fair #, and 50/50 seems fair to me. If it's all about the income it will be cash rented anyway.

Not to "kick the beehive"...but the rate that I just renewed my CRP acres for was well above what I could cash rent it for at this time. It seems as though the "formula" that the Feds use lags actual grain markets realities by about 3-5 years. I feel quite fortunate to "get in" at the rate I did as it now looks like rates will be falling back to something more in line with what someone could get for rent. All of that to say, I suspect that those that renewed within the last 1-4 years are in a higher rate for the next 10 years than what cash rents would provide.

One more beef with CRP-- the government has little flexibility on contracts etc... For one, why not let the farmers hay some of the CRP every year? Maybe 25% of the area (after the nesting season). I am required to mow my CRP(mid-contract management) Why not bale that area and get some use out of it? Just one example.

Another is how about cropping history of 4 of the last 6 years, no years listed so that we do not have to wait for the new farm bill to included the new (specific) years.

Not to "kick the beehive"...but the rate that I just renewed my CRP acres for was well above what I could cash rent it for at this time. It seems as though the "formula" that the Feds use lags actual grain markets realities by about 3-5 years. I feel quite fortunate to "get in" at the rate I did as it now looks like rates will be falling back to something more in line with what someone could get for rent. All of that to say, I suspect that those that renewed within the last 1-4 years are in a higher rate for the next 10 years than what cash rents would provide.
That's cuz we don't have a new farm bill yet. Yes you are fortunate. I wish much of mine was expiring this year so I could get back in before rates are slashed. We'll see what happens.

One more beef with CRP-- the government has little flexibility on contracts etc... For one, why not let the farmers hay some of the CRP every year? Maybe 25% of the area (after the nesting season). I am required to mow my CRP(mid-contract management) Why not bale that area and get some use out of it? Just one example.

Another is how about cropping history of 4 of the last 6 years, no years listed so that we do not have to wait for the new farm bill to included the new (specific) years.
The haying piece might be in this one. It's been talked about. I agree with you on crop history.... Good idea.

Farm Bill- approximately 900 Billion dollars over 10 years (ballpark) or about $90B per year. Approximately 80% is for FOOD STAMPS. As a kid, we were on em for maybe a year or so - coming from a point of view that “kinda gets it”.
QUESTION in all honesty..... when was the last time u ran across a person who really was “going hungry”? Seriously? I run across people with financial troubles - no doubt there. Most churches help folks out for short periods too. I am NOT trying to be provocative or not compassionate here.
Iowa maybe is a little stronger reason for “no need”.... u know how many free Deer folks can get? How easy it would be to spend 30 mins catching fish a day (and cheap). A bushel of oats- like 50+ lbs: $6. Dozen eggs- $1.25. Bags of fruit.... $.50 to $2 a lbs. bulk chicken- $1.50 to $2.00 lbs. garden & seed - jack squat. Canned foods- $.50 to $1.50.
So u live in “big city”. Commodity food still costs NOTHING!!! Sure- u can’t be buying expensive junk that’s marketed like crazy & full of preservatives but the basics are CHEAP & in short term- there’s infinite churches, charities, shelters, community organizations, etc - we are NOT hurting for food. SAYING IT HOW IT IS.... sorry BUT.... u see most people on food stamps?? DO THEY LOOK HUNGRY??? Heck no, obesity looks to be 10x the problem vs lack of food. But- here we are- cutting crp which is a fraction of the bill, DOES impact EVERYONE (happy to explain) & benefits are endless. To fund $70B per year for food stamps for masses of “hungry & starving people”. I am not trying to be a wiener. I honestly think these food stamps do more harm than good though.... spent on “junk” & have massive obesity & health problems for recipients, being stuck on them long term & not used as safety net (happy to provide evidence), costs billions, food all over for free or darn near it across our country if u take a tiny amount of time to look, etc etc. out of control. I honestly think if u did a 6 month limit on food stamps & folks had to look at all the other options - the vast majority would be very well fed after they figured plan B out. My 2 cents & opinion.

They are trying to add that you need to attend some sort of job training to get on food stamps. What a crazy idea, teach people to make a living in a trade for free food. Sounds fair. Liberals act like it's the most heartless thing that could ever be done. I'm so sick of the media and news.

It is called "enabling" and now we are in the second or third generation of it in some families! There are literally people out there now that do not know it is normal to be at work period let alone at a specific time! Why work for minimum wage when you can sleep till noon, do what you want and make more from the system than those silly people working! There are legislators holding up the bill because of the proposed SNAP cuts. Not saying there are not people in hard times but I'd guess several could find a job. Rant over....

Farm Bill- approximately 900 Billion dollars over 10 years (ballpark) or about $90B per year. Approximately 80% is for FOOD STAMPS. As a kid, we were on em for maybe a year or so - coming from a point of view that “kinda gets it”.
QUESTION in all honesty..... when was the last time u ran across a person who really was “going hungry”? Seriously? I run across people with financial troubles - no doubt there. Most churches help folks out for short periods too. I am NOT trying to be provocative or not compassionate here.
Iowa maybe is a little stronger reason for “no need”.... u know how many free Deer folks can get? How easy it would be to spend 30 mins catching fish a day (and cheap). A bushel of oats- like 50+ lbs: $6. Dozen eggs- $1.25. Bags of fruit.... $.50 to $2 a lbs. bulk chicken- $1.50 to $2.00 lbs. garden & seed - jack squat. Canned foods- $.50 to $1.50.
So u live in “big city”. Commodity food still costs NOTHING!!! Sure- u can’t be buying expensive junk that’s marketed like crazy & full of preservatives but the basics are CHEAP & in short term- there’s infinite churches, charities, shelters, community organizations, etc - we are NOT hurting for food. SAYING IT HOW IT IS.... sorry BUT.... u see most people on food stamps?? DO THEY LOOK HUNGRY??? Heck no, obesity looks to be 10x the problem vs lack of food. But- here we are- cutting crp which is a fraction of the bill, DOES impact EVERYONE (happy to explain) & benefits are endless. To fund $70B per year for food stamps for masses of “hungry & starving people”. I am not trying to be a wiener. I honestly think these food stamps do more harm than good though.... spent on “junk” & have massive obesity & health problems for recipients, being stuck on them long term & not used as safety net (happy to provide evidence), costs billions, food all over for free or darn near it across our country if u take a tiny amount of time to look, etc etc. out of control. I honestly think if u did a 6 month limit on food stamps & folks had to look at all the other options - the vast majority would be very well fed after they figured plan B out. My 2 cents & opinion.
Couldn’t agree more... I know there are ppl that truly need food stamp program but I feel they should have proof of a existing job or have had one within a certain amount of time... and in order to get them pass a drug test every few months...

Skip nailed it. This is the very reason I liked the food basket idea that was proposed. Instead of Mountain Dew and Doritos, some fruit, protein, etc. What a concept?!

When I worked at a grocery store a "few" years ago, drove me bonkers to see someone come in and buy what food stamps allowed with food stamps, then pull out cash to pay for cigarettes and junk food. Then go to their car, and it's only a couple of years old. The food stamps are not a need at that point. I grew up on a farm and we qualified for both food stamps and free lunches at school. My parents refused to go that path as they did not feel it was a need for us. I do not recall ever, going hungry. I know that is part of the situation that Skip described above. We were on the farm, so we could garden, and butcher a hog with a bum leg. I'm not quite sure how many life skills I learned from that though. My boys ask me all the time... How do you know how to do that? I often wonder how much life i'm taking out of them, by not living on a farm.
It's sad, that so much of what is in a "farm" bill, is wellfare. There are exceptions, but most farmers do not want a hand out.
There are many that will take the $ for CRP (a little help to be good stewards of the land), but would not dream, of taking a dime of food stamps.

• Deleted by sep0667
  • Reason: cant get a quote to post right
Show…
I thought we used to have about 44.5 million acres in CRP. With the way grain prices have went the last 2-3 weeks I am betting a lot of guys wish they still had CRP. If we keep having decent crops nation wide prices will keep falling or at least stay pathetic.

I think getting back to about 45 million acres is a small step in the right direction. We have such big grain reserves that nothing will help short term. Short of another 2012, and I can't bring myself to hope for that.

I’ve argued with many on this, I could be wrong?

So many prime counties in MN/Iowa are literally under water. Three of the best corn growing counties in Minnesota (had 7 inches of rain) 18 inches in 8 days ... it has to take a toll on the harvest?

Top Bottom