Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Would it be crazy to plant brassicas this weekend

Matthewfox_45

I was wondering if you guys think planting brassicas this weekend would be too early? Am I crazy for thinking about trying this? Thanks for any advice that is offered

July 29, rain or shine. Any earlier, as others have said, you will likely regret it. But I have planted them all the way up to mid-Sept and got something worthwhile. Best time though is late July through mid-August.

Thanks guys. Looks like I’ll wait a couple weeks. Just thought about doing it now since we’ve been getting rain on the regular.

We usually plant them around the end of July. Was just thinking about trying something different to hopefully get a larger bulb size. Was also hoping to take advantage of the rainy pattern we’re in before it goes dry.

I will say I planted them last year July 15th as a normally do and Id say about the first of October they got off of them and never touched them again the rest of the season .. all the bulbs where there this winter rotten. Maybe I should wait a little too...

Last edited:
Sometimes they just choose not to eat turnips.Deer at my home place have ignored them for 4 years in a row now. Graze a very little (mostly on the radish) but 90%+ just compost in the field. One more year and I'm gonna quit offering them... They have plenty other stuff to eat anyway.

Might try forage turnips. They don't get a big bulb. Last year I had beans right next to turnips. The bucks would hit the turnips first and the does would head for the beans.

The mix that has worked for me for several years is equal parts Purple Top turnips, Barkant forage turnips, Dwarf essex Rape, with just a few groundhog radish thrown in.

I just planted my purple top turnips, Daikon radishes today. Hoping to get a bigger bulb. And taller plants than last year. Last year did it the first week of August.

Top Bottom