Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

Well the water hole hasnt been installed more than two weeks, but I think it is getting some action. Checked one of my cameras on my lunch to see if the angle was right (I just hung it Friday evening) and to my surprise there was a bachelor group of young bucks that had come through on the trail that leads from the new watering hole. The following day I put a camera on the waterhole itself. No monsters but a few nice deer that I would guess as 2.3-3.5 y/olds. Pretty early still but fun to see them progress. This is a wifi cam so I didnt have to get out of the truck to check it.

Well here is where we are at on the plots at the farm... bottom line is the corn is burning up and we need rain....
Soybeans look okay considering the conditions.. Its pretty obvious that the RWWP soybeans are handling the drought better than the RR ag beans, regardless the fence is saving the day with them. I plan to spray the beans in the morning before Independence day festivities.

The only encouraging thing that I have to report is that the RWWP bedding in a bag WSG mix seems to be germed and hanging tough. I need to spray pasture guard on it though as there's dogbane and some little sericia lespedeeza coming up as I'm sure the drought has had a negative effect on the plateau pre-emergent that I put down for the WSGs.
IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5397.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the project here? New pond?

Going to repair and expand old pond and the adjacent food plot.
1.5 acre food plot now that got holes everywhere from sloppy dozer work the first time. Pond also didn’t hold. Hired different guys that I believe will fix it right this time.
Hoping to expand the food plot to 3-4 acres as well.

Progress... finishing up Monday
Pond and blind mound are done. Budget is on tract to expand food plot another 1.5-2 acres for a total around 4.
IMG_5912.JPG

$130
Sheiderer Excavation out of Salisbury, MO
So far so good, I would highly recommend them to anyone in central or north MO

Wow that’s dirt cheap especially with that dozer. I charge $140/hr just for a D5.

The pond re-build and food plot grading/expansion is complete. Previously the "dozer plot" was rough and the pond blew out from the previous contractor's repair job.
Seth and Jered of Sheiderer Excavation did an exceptional job. They have excellent equipment and are great guys. They also log and farm. They expanded what was an 1.5 acre plot to just shy of 3 acres. When clearing the trees I had them stack the brush to block and funnel the deer's movement towards my blind position as well as block the view into the plot from adjacent timber.
They dug down and re-cored the pond dam, cleaned out the silt and raised the dam about a foot and a half. I think it should hold about an acre of water at full pool.
To top everything off at the end of the pond damn I had them build a mound to set a blind on and an approach/ramp coming off the end of the dam.
I am ecstatic and can't wait to get fertilizer down this weekend for fall plots that will be going in here! SO PUMPED!
Here’s the view from the 2 blind mounds.
IMG_6407.JPG

IMG_6400.JPG

Clean...
IMG_6408.JPG

Beans looking better after some rain Saturday
IMG_6413.JPG

I mean you going to have some groceries there bro. I hope it all comes together fur you this year .. You get out what you put in . Awesome display of taking a canvas and putting the pieces in place. Never stop Improving..

I got fertilizer spread last night. Worked it in this morning before work. It will be ready for planting in a couple weeks
emoji1360.png

Food plot is smoother than a baby’s butt. Felt like I was driving tractor down blacktop highway.
fertilizer down.jpg

I mean you going to have some groceries there bro. I hope it all comes together fur you this year .. You get out what you put in . Awesome display of taking a canvas and putting the pieces in place. Never stop Improving..
Thanks brother.
That is the plan. Im putting a lot of sweat and capital improvements trying to get this place turn key in 3-4 years. Then actually get to enjoy it more when my kiddo gets old enough to go with me. Wife enjoys it as well. Should be able to get her her first deer ever this year and do it with archery gear.
I'm going to plant a few different seeds to do a side by side comparisons. Im doing some Biologic Maximum, RWWP Plot Topper, and RWWP Harvest Salad. Observe and let the deer tell me what they like the best. Ive been a Maximum addict for the past few seasons. Ive heard a lot of hype about the RWWP products so we will see.

Top Bottom