Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lack of equipment

Bearman205

I planned on doing two small brassica plots this year, but yesterday the tractor and tiller I was going to use broke. So my question is, does anyone have any good ideas on how I can still get them planted? I have both plots sprayed already so the weeds are all dead. I was wondering if I weed whacked it down to pretty much the dirt and then broadcast the seed and then harrowed it; would that work?

Well I know a lot of people will broadcast Ground hog Radish's or Rye in to standing crops like beans and corn. I have heard Turnips as well . Id say biggest factor is Rain.. I have never tried Turnips had good luck with Rye. What ever you do I would get a kill on what ever grass you have there. As well are you adding Urea to the plot ? going have put that down when it's raining.. Good luck I am sure you will get some other feedback. Hope this helps.

Read up in DLBTREE section you'll get a lot of information..

I planned on doing two small brassica plots this year, but yesterday the tractor and tiller I was going to use broke. So my question is, does anyone have any good ideas on how I can still get them planted? I have both plots sprayed already so the weeds are all dead. I was wondering if I weed whacked it down to pretty much the dirt and then broadcast the seed and then harrowed it; would that work?

1st thing I would do if you have already sprayed is burn what ever vegetation is there. Rake in after broadcasting and spreading fertilizer.

First turnip plot I ever planted my son and I broadcast with a hand seeder over ground that had been nuked, then raked it all in by hand. Caught a nice rain within 24 hours, and the plot turned out great. My opinion with turnips is that you can grow them in a parking lot if you get a decent rain within a few days of planting :D

Agree with the above I have used the weed eater method and the burning before broadcasting. Both worked well I think the weeds come in a little faster if you burn but you will have better seed to soil contact. Rain is the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could see about renting a walk behind tiller....fairly time consuming but it would be a good way to incorporate the fertilizer. then seed and go over it with harrow and youll have a great plot

Thank you all for the replies. I've got it all sprayed and killed already so I think I'll weed eat it and then check the forecast for a good rain and try to plant the day before.

if burning it is an option I would do a controlled burn. And then do a good no till. Majority of my brassica plots have been no till- just time it right where you are planting RIGHT before a good rainfall and ideal in a few days after that will be another decent rain.

Thank you all for the replies. I've got it all sprayed and killed already so I think I'll weed eat it and then check the forecast for a good rain and try to plant the day before.

Be sure to apply your N(urea) right before a rain too. If you spread it, and then do not till it in and it lays on the surface very long, it will evaporate and you will lose some fertilizer "punch" that you paid good money for.

if burning it is an option I would do a controlled burn. And then do a good no till. Majority of my brassica plots have been no till- just time it right where you are planting RIGHT before a good rainfall and ideal in a few days after that will be another decent rain.

Just curious...when/how do you apply your fertilizer in this scenario?

Just curious...when/how do you apply your fertilizer in this scenario?

I broadcast urea right after I spread the seed during a light sprinkle. once the plants were about 1"-2" of growth I went back and broadcast 13-13-13 and 46-0-0 Urea (again- hours before rain) the plots have turned out great that I have used this method. Fortunately i have had days with rain at some point to spread out the urea so it didnt evaporate.

I broadcast urea right after I spread the seed during a light sprinkle. once the plants were about 1"-2" of growth I went back and broadcast 13-13-13 and 46-0-0 Urea (again- hours before rain) the plots have turned out great that I have used this method. Fortunately i have had days with rain at some point to spread out the urea so it didnt evaporate.

That'll work. ^^ Down in my neck of the woods, it is hard to get any rain, let alone where you can time out the pre-rain seeding or fertilizing. :)

I have a couple that I spray, then when everything is dead come back and mow it as short as possible. Chops everything up to a fine mulch. I then broadcast seed then roll it with a lawn roller, rolling crucial to get good soil contact, I’ve skipped rolling and the plots are spotty at best.
I would push mow it if you don’t have a rider, dead grass mows easy. Weedeating takes forever.
c4eb29c74898d1a67385b626b1a0cd02.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/2063221f7176178e3aff05e6bee34771.jpg[/IMG

I do this a lot when it’s really dry and I don’t want to lose moisture by tilling, find a way to pack it even if it’s driving over it with an atv,mower,truck etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I turned a tall grass (non CRP) area into a future brassica plot yesterday. Sprayed it two weeks ago - went in last night and did a controlled burn. Will broadcast seed and nitrogen in a few weeks around rain and spray again a few weeks after that. I took a mower and cut a double wide buffer strip around it- took my back pack sprayer and watered down the mowed path. Did a back with into the wind and then looped it in and it went up quickly without any issues.

37768729_10100305792776384_2012611719171407872_n.jpg

37823145_10100305792781374_7781074018303475712_n.jpg

Looks good. Just in case you have not done this before...if you get on that black chaff right away with an ATV or tractor, etc, you can expect a pretty dirty ride AND possibly some clogged air filters, etc, on your machinery, not to mention your lungs. :) It's best to get a good rain on it first so it settles out the chaff. Just a friendly tip...and like so many of my tips...don't ask me how I know this! :)

Top Bottom