Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

yes your math is correct. But he is saying 300# of urea. So 6 bags of urea will give you 150#(roughly) actual. So basically there are 46 units of N per 100 lbs. So 2 bags is 46 units(lbs). 1 bag has 23 units(lbs). But that is also on the high side, but I know rob and he spares nothing when it comes to his plots and trust me it shows! I would bet that you could grow a pretty good crop of brassicas (especially on clover ground) with 3 bags, so 150# of urea which is roughly 70# of actual nitrogen. Obviously this is all per acre!!!

Each one of your bags weigh how much? 100 actual pounds when put on a scale?

Each one of your bags weigh how much? 100 actual pounds when put on a scale?
A bag of urea weighs 50lbs. The bag is labeled 46-0-0 which means there is 46 units(lbs) of N per 100#....so in 2 bags of urea there is 46lbs of ACTUAL Nitrogen. What i am saying is that if you were to put 3 or 4 bags of urea(46-0-0) on an acre of existing clover, then you SHOULD have PLENTY of N for the brassicas

A bag of urea weighs 50lbs. The bag is labeled 46-0-0 which means there is 46 units(lbs) of N per 100#....so in 2 bags of urea there is 46lbs of ACTUAL Nitrogen. What i am saying is that if you were to put 3 or 4 bags of urea(46-0-0) on an acre of existing clover, then you SHOULD have PLENTY of N for the brassicas

Gotcha and totally understand Thank You. What I don't understand is he said to put 300# of nitrogen on there. So from what I have read in the past in the Dbltree thread is if you need 300# of Urea you will need 12 bags of urea on it (200 lbs. or four bags of Urea will give you 92# of Nitrogen. To get 300#'s of Nitrogen you will need 12 bags plus a little more x 50 lbs. = 600lbs. actual weight). So your 4 bags to me is only 92#'s of Nitrogen. Trust me I'm not trying to be difficult but if it is confusing for one I am sure it is confusing for others. I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help clarify.

Gotcha and totally understand Thank You. What I don't understand is he said to put 300# of nitrogen on there. So from what I have read in the past in the Dbltree thread is if you need 300# of Urea you will need 12 bags of urea on it (200 lbs. or four bags of Urea will give you 92# of Nitrogen. To get 300#'s of Nitrogen you will need 12 bags plus a little more x 50 lbs. = 600lbs. actual weight). So your 4 bags to me is only 92#'s of Nitrogen. Trust me I'm not trying to be difficult but if it is confusing for one I am sure it is confusing for others. I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help clarify.
Holy smokes 300# of actual N will produce some hellacious bulbs!!

100-150 lbs of actual N is sufficient. Especially if PH is right & u have proper p&k down.
Now- a really good “plow down” stand of clover will fix an actual rate of 75 minimum, up to 150 lbs max. If it’s a “weak stand” figure 35-50 depending on “how bad”. Same with soybeans, I’d say if u went from beans to brassicas- depending on how they did, count on 25 to 45 lbs of N per acre.
So- underatanding some basics of what N is likely in ur existing situation, add the rest with urea. 46% N per 100 lbs or 46 lbs per 100 lbs applied. If u thought u had maybe 50 lbs of N from clovers- I’d probably add 200 or so lbs of UREA which will add (200 lbs x .46) about 92 lbs of actual N per acre. So- almost 150 lbs TOTAL between urea & clovers.

So- supplement what’s needed but do realize there’s examples of lush clover that will satisfy 100% of ur N needs in good cases. No urea needed of a guy dialed them in correctly (right choice of clovers, mower them, lush stand & kill them to release N for brassicas). Good luck!

Urea and Nitrogen are not interchangeable terms. When I say put 300# urea down, that is 138 # of nitrogen (300 x .46)

Speaking of urea.... ;)

Not practical for me to buy in bulk with small farms/plots scattered all over. So have to pay a bit more but no other way to do it given the situation.
83f1afc8e56b80b1fe5e72aedc4c9c81.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Urea has to be covered!!! or if you have a rain on it within 24 hours it will still work. But it will evaporate in the hot sun if let sit for much over 24 hours. If youve grown good brassicas with just 10-10-10 that was put ontop of the soil then if you incorporate some urea youll be amazed at what they will do!!!

I got about 1.5 acres in on Friday in North MO and got .5 to .75 inches on Saturday and Sunday. That is the good news. The bad news is the 10 day forecast. We'll see what happens.

Does anyone in Southern IA/Northern MO plant brassicas at the end of August and get good bulb production assuming decent rain (which is a huge ASSumption of course)?

Top Bottom