Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sedge?

deadeye

Trying to get cover going over septic drainage field. Sedge was there before septic. Planted clover and have been mowing for weed control. Knocked back the grass with Clethodim. That is hard to find... Thoughts on best control for the sedge? Guessing I don't want it. Mow and sedgehammer? Will that kill the little clover I have? Kill anyway and start the clover over? Open to thoughts. Thanks

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

depends on what sedge it is. Nut sedge is probably what it is because it likes wet. It's it is very vivid bright green it's probably nut sedge. If you what that plot of turkey you might let it go. Lost of companies sell nut sedge seed under it's other name, chufa, which turkey's are supposed to love, which I can attest to because we have some in our yard and the turkey hammer it in the spring and fall.

Mowing the sedge won't control it, neither will tilling. It's got roots that can go down around 18" so you basically need a bulldozer for manual control. Treat with sedgehammer a time or two to the whole area, or glypo the whole thing and start over. I have a about a 1/4 acre of reed canary i'm going to glypo spring/fall and over-seed with buckwheat to try and get controlled so that I can convert it to a food plot. Might be an option in your situation also. Not sure if the sedge hammer would kill your clover or not. I'm thinking it MIGHT not, since sedge is a grassy weed and clover a broad-leaf, but I don't know that for sure.

Sedgehammer safe on clover. Read label obviously. Try imazamox otherwise. Check out label on that.

Top Bottom