Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cwd again

Western States with small deer populations have CWD, so I still don't understand, the notion that reducing the population will help stop the spread? The map I attached from CWDinfo.org is very interesting, the outbreaks are definitely advanced by captive populations more than anything. They need to address that issue more than what the hunters are doing.

I agree that not transporting carcasses across state lines and not leaving entrails in the field is wise, but giving out additional tags is a waste. These bucks are gonna travel during the rut and whether there are 5 does or 50, they're gonna harass them all and travel great distances to do so. I don't know the answer, but I don't think the solution is to kill more deer to verify that it's present somewhere.
c3593c9568bce194b20fe2d229a832ba.gif

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The reason for the captive deer having it is because deer that are cwd positive are being shipped from state to state, plus captive deer obviously have more contact with each other due to limited space. The Joe Rogan episode #1154 was excellent on this. Also, people unknowingly would transport CWD positive deer carcasses from state to state also. What we ought to be doing is adding $10 mandatory on every deer tag sold to fund research to find a cure for this thing before it spreads to everywhere and then we don't have any deer to hunt, or cwd changes enough that we get the prion and humans die from consuming deer. It could also be spread by coyotes, crows, and hay bales being transferred from state to state. This is only going to get much worse. My entire life revolves around working so that I can afford my cabin and 50 acre property to hunt deer. I couldn't imagine not having deer to hunt. I guess I could raise cattle instead. But if you want deer hunting around in 30 years we need to be funding millions of dollars to research.

It is very possible that many of us could have shot deer infected with cwd, because the incubation period is 2 years and they don't show symptoms up until the last 6 to 8 weeks.

The reason for the captive deer having it is because deer that are cwd positive are being shipped from state to state, plus captive deer obviously have more contact with each other due to limited space. The Joe Rogan episode #1154 was excellent on this. Also, people unknowingly would transport CWD positive deer carcasses from state to state also. What we ought to be doing is adding $10 mandatory on every deer tag sold to fund research to find a cure for this thing before it spreads to everywhere and then we don't have any deer to hunt, or cwd changes enough that we get the prion and humans die from consuming deer. It could also be spread by coyotes, crows, and hay bales being transferred from state to state. This is only going to get much worse. My entire life revolves around working so that I can afford my cabin and 50 acre property to hunt deer. I couldn't imagine not having deer to hunt. I guess I could raise cattle instead. But if you want deer hunting around in 30 years we need to be funding millions of dollars to research.

Where has CWD killed enough deer to start ruining a hunting tradition? People have said what you just said since the late 50s early 60s and it has yet to happen.

To be clear I fully support providing funding to research in order to find a cure. I don’t want CWD either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only speak for Clayton county, but around here there are getting to be gobs of deer. The pockets where the deer are off limits entirely or on highly managed ground are thick as flys. I feel like they are trying to maintain that balance and slow the growth of the herd. If we don't start whacking a few more of them in 2-3 years we are going to have a real problem around here. CWD is here it will only get worse as population density gets thicker. Thicker pop density, then the deer spread out looking for food, spreading CWD. Its simple math. I plan on hammering the does again this year, and shoot a mature buck if I have the chance, obviously. I want to have deer to shoot at, but I don't need a herd of 150 on every farm to shoot.

Let's be honest, you obviously come from a farming background?(as do I). Thus the mentality. Deer do not need to highly "spread out" looking for food as you say, in Iowa! There is an over abundance of food. This only applies to out west! Make no mistake, there is no stopping CWD in Iowa. It is a Prion, lives in the soil and takes a long time to kill a deer. I'm not for killing everything that moves. I say let it take its course.

i would suggest listening to Randy Newberg's most recent podcast on the issue he had actual researchers on..gasp.. it was very informative and i learned several things..it was refreshing to listen to some people who are actually putting in the hours rather than some conspiracy theorists out there

Top Bottom