Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Carter's first deer

LYON

PMA Member
Carter (7) has been showing interest in hunting and said he wanted to try deer hunting this year. He's a very particular kid and I knew shooting precision wouldn't be an issue for him. I felt he was ready so we decided to do it. A month or so ago we got the muzzleloader out and sighted it in at 50 yards. At that distance, Carter was stacking shots on top of each other. He was mainly worried about the gun kicking so we only loaded 50 grains of blackhorn 209 for sighting in and made sure we put a little extra padding behind the butt of the gun.
Friday night we went out to a stand at the back of the pasture behind our house. That wasn't the intended spot but the North wind wasn't right for the location I was planning on. It ended up being a good night and had multiple deer within range but they were only in range for about a minute and all at the same time, so it was a little too chaotic for a young hunter to pinpoint a deer and take a good shot. No worries.
Saturday night we were able to go to the location I was wanting to hit. We got out there a little before 6 and had deer in the field almost immediately. However, the 6 does out in front all went a very unexpected direction and nothing got closer than about 150 yards. Sitting, waiting, probably getting close to sunset and I park behind us and there was a spike standing 70 yards away feeding. So we slowly got everything turned around in the blind and got the window open on that side. Carter took his time and made a fantastic shot. The buck went about 100 yards or so and that was that. So much fun being able to witness and help my child be able to take his first deer. I had a camera along to video and did a quick edit on it. Will be a great memory to look back on in the future!

d03292ca61970b5442635aa3a5d7abc8.jpg
ea3fece59fb2bb04afff40ec60bf8c99.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom