Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zone 3 Butcher/Taxidermist Info

HSRB25

Hello all,

I'm travelling to Zone 3 from NY in November and my brothers and I are looking for a good butcher in the area. Would be great to find a guy that an cape and butcher if possible. We will be staying in the Missouri Valley. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We want to be prepared if we get something.

Thanks,
Mike

not my area, but i think there is a good locker in minden. not super far from mo valley

Minden is your best bet for a quality butcher in the area. Taxidermist, Mark Baker in Lawton is the best in the area imo. it’s about an hour drive but worth it.

I used Minden last time I went out there and they did an awesome job. The taxidermist I used was great but he was farther away and the drive wasn't fun. I recently found Dougs taxidermy in Shelby which is close to Minden to cape out the head so that's good I don't need to drive to all different places. I hunt in NY and eat a lot of deer, I noticed that the meat from Minden was a lot lighter in color than the meat back home. Is that just the Iowa deer and their diet? I have eaten a lot of deer in my life and every time I looked at the deer I got back from Minden I questioned if they gave me back beef instead. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the info,
Mike

There is a guy in Whiting[Monona cty] that I send hunters to, that does a real nice job capeing and butchering. 712/420-1136. He does it out of his home, so after hours drop off is not a problem. His neighbor is a taxidermist, but I have never seen any of his work. There are some real great taxidermists in Iowa

I think Whiting is a little far. I don't need a great taxidermist, i just need someone to cape out the head bacuse we cant transport deer back to NY with the brain still in the skull because of CWD. I can cape to back of head but i dont trust myself doing the face.

Top Bottom