Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

South Dakota Pheasant Hunt

Gundog

PMA Member
I need a little help from anyone with knowledge of South Dakota. Pheasant season opens on the 20th of October and my son turns 13 on the 21st. I’ve been planning to take him for the weekend and trying to do my homework but I can’t really find anything that shows where any Public Hunting is located. Areas of CREP or Walk In Hunter.

We are looking to go around Yankton or Mitchell. Any help or advice would be appreciated. We don’t need to shoot limits each day. Just want to have some opportunities to work the dog and see what we can find.

Thanks

Gundog

Any of the places where you can purchase a license will have books showing all of the public places to hunt, as well as who manages it. Tons of places to choose from and can be a little overwhelming. Lots of very large blocks of crp. Focus on the edges of cover next to cornfields and you should do well. Good luck!

I’m gonna make a thread like this in a few years too. :). Wanna do some killer pheasant hunting again someday. I’ll be out in NW iowa walking through some massive .25 acres of cover here & there!!! :(

Good luck- please post back on how u do!!!! :)

Onx has a 7 day free trial. Pick SD as your state to try and that will show all the public. If you find it useful a one state membership is 30 and all states are 100. Theres discount codes available for saving 20 percent if you want to purchase

Good luck, nothing better than SD pheasant hunting. Don't be afraid to ask some locals if you can hunt. You would be surprised that some will let you. Small farms are best.
(Especially when you have a young one with)

Thanks guys, any thoughts on Mitchell area over Yankton area or vice versa? I am reading counts were better near Mitchell but still not bad by Yankton.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Mitchell seems to always be a good area. Chamberlain down to Winner maybe even better, but farther.

I'll be up there next weekend on some private land an hour west of Chamberlain (Presho). Pheasant numbers I see are up from last year but the past few years it has been a struggle getting limits.

Good Luck!

FF

Lots of walk in land and good hunting available, however lots of competition in those spots as well. It will be a birthday to remember I am sure. Enjoy your trip.

Gundog, I hunted near Mitchell years ago and unbelievable amount of pheasant, havent been back since though. Buddy's at work go every year and walk the back roads ditches and easements and they always kill their limits. I've got two sons and we've been going to this place for a couple years now, need to plan out this year's trip. It's not the same as wild birds obviously but a lot of fun and some good experience wing shooting.

https://www.hardinggamebirds.com/

Hardings is only about 18 miles from where we live. I've never gone down there though. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom