Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which Does are best to shoot?? Old, young, etc?

First priority for me is any doe that trails me to my stand, looks for me in the tree, or blows at me. They get an arrow 100% of the time.
Second priority is an estrous doe during the rut. I want her 20-30 yards upwind of my stand. I'll tag her and drag her to that spot if needed. Bucks will swarm her. And this actually works if it's not an estrous doe. I've had them do the same thing with does that weren't in heat.
Third would be the biggest doe in any group when I'm doe hunting.
I can't shoot a yearling. Never been able to so they are safe!

Second priority is an estrous doe during the rut. I want her 20-30 yards upwind of my stand. I'll tag her and drag her to that spot if needed. Bucks will swarm her. And this actually works if it's not an estrous doe. I've had them do the same thing with does that weren't in heat.

You got a point dtr, I whacked an estrus doe once that had a buck trailing her, she went 20 yards and dropped. I thought the buck was going to be one of the younger bucks chasing there the previous 2 days but I was surprised. A 170+ was behind her, thought he was going to sniff the blood soaked arrow and take off but he walked over to the doe and stuck is nose against her ass and tried to get her up. He then circled her pushing at her, when he got no response he waked back towards my stand and started licking the yearlings ass, that's when he got whacked too! When I checked in via walkie talkie with my buddies at the usual time all I said was I got deer laying everywhere and the charter went silent.

Deer laying everywhere. LOL! These pictures were from last year during the rut. I killed the first doe that walked by. Dropped her at 10 yards for bait right upwind of my tree. She wasn't in heat and was just walking along by herself. Had some small bucks trying to mount her on the ground a few minutes later. Then had a doe come in that was being harrassed by 5 small bucks. Shot her and she died 30 yds upwind. All the bucks started circling the does and grunting. More bucks started showing up. Then the 6 yr old I was after heard the commotion, and got out of his bed to see what was going on. I had seen him up in his bedding area about 100 yds away earlier but he wouldn't respond to calling. When he saw all the bucks he ran down the hill and immediately noticed the doe closest to my stand. He circled around her and gave me a 10 yd shot. He was so worked up he had no idea what had happened! He died 15 yds from my tree. So I had 3 dead ones (and yes I had plenty of tags) on the ground within 30 yds of my tree and this happened within a 20-30 minute timeframe. It really works!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Strange to shoot a doe and leave lay for bait but guess it can work. I usually wait till peak of rut is over to shoot a doe. Want to have as many girls around alive for bait as possible. Had a doe with a fawn around my food plot every day almost during rut last season. One morning they were in the plot and suddenly fawn walked off and never came back. doe left opposite direction. I wondered if she was ready and the separation was evidence. Twenty min later she came back with a grunting buck in tow.

I shot a yearling doe this year. It was a fluke deal and it was raining, slow movement have two does come out of the corn into a small tree line that boarders a clover field, I ranged was 50 yards and let the arrow fly.... Once we got to her she ended up being the smaller of the two. I won't complain meet in the freezer and when you can get it done on public land while it's raining I call it a good day. 50 yards perfect heart shot drop 20 yards. I prefer the older does though

Top Bottom