Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer calls?

loneranger

What deer call do you like best. A call that makes both doe and buck sounds and you think is most realistic. A lot to choose from!!

I've had REALLY poor luck calling the past few seasons... not sure what the deal has been because I haven't done much different? Maybe I need a TreeThrasher?

I had one for years I liked but it quit. Guess I left it in garage thru winter too many times. I have NOT ever had a grunt produce anything but yearlings. Blind calling is out of the question in my set ups. Easy for a buck to sneak around and wind me. But just in the rare event that I see a mature buck cruising past out of range, I'd like to have something to throw a realistic call with.

I had one of those once. Never quite knew tho where to put my fingers on it to get the right sound. A guy with quite a few trophies recommended it tho.

I found my true talker and I have a primos buck Growl. Sometimes when I have seen zero for a few days I am tempted to blind call. Only have one stand that is high. Fourteen ft. Most on here wouldn't consider that high. But with a south wind my scent mostly blows out across my neighbors open field where deer are not usually gonna come from. sometimes I think I'll just give a few grunts see what happens. Then I think possibly a buck was on it's way down a trail I am watching. At the sound I made he got suspicious and snuck around to get a scent. I might have ruined a traveling opportunity. Might educate an unseen buck.. I have blind called a time or two. Nothing to report. Called to a couple yearlings that came to the call. That's all. Have yet to see an old guy going past and tried to turn him around. Best case when to call.

I have had mine so long the rubber over the reed has broken off, I have to cup my hand over it to get it to work. I have taught myself how to make estrus bleats, fawn bleats and various tones of grunts. Just takes time to figure out where to place the rubber band. I can't begin to think of how many bucks I have brought in or close to "in" with the thing. Not saying its the best, but its really about the only thing I have ever used.

I have a buck growl and have had good luck with it. The buck in my avatar really liked it also. Don’t do much blind calling but once I see a buck then I will give a couple of short grunts and if that doesn’t get his attention I will do a loud growl with it.

Checked out the extinguisher call. Kinda nice that is slides to doe, fawn, or buck. No mystery where to put your fingers. Guess made for dummies but I kinda likie it.

Primos buck roar or whatever it’s called... basic green one with black tube. 100% my fav call by long shot. Only thing I’d change.... make it even louder if a guy could. It’s by far the best tone & volume so far. I had a true talker. Was ok & decent. I had that MAD growl- couldn’t get any good sound or distance - didn’t like it at all & liked true talker way better. I also got a primos roar with flexible tube - I do NOT like it. So the basic primos roar on mature buck grunt be my favorite thus far.
I do not blind grunt hardly ever. Unless I’m bored & usually doesn’t work. Blind rattling maybe a little better but I don’t do that much either. BUT!!!!..... find an aggressive & dominant buck- different game. Let him hear a grunt or a light rattle - oh ya!!!!! Heck, been part of the game the last 4-5 bucks I’ve shot. I called in the dude last Sunday from 200 yards.
It’s just a tricky thing & tons of cases where it does NOT work. But- in certain scenarios - awesome results.

Right Sligh,,Find a dominant buck for me! I assume you have to see one. Then call to him. If I see a 4 or 5 yr old buck he is usually within range in the first place. Only time I saw one at a distance, he was in HOT pursuit of a doe. And I know no call would have stopped him. Agree blind calling mostly a waste. Maybe I will see one to call to in coming weeks?

Do you ever try to sound like a doe? Just an angry buck? I have the primos Growl too. Figure it mostly scares the bucks in my area. Maybe sometimes a doe blat might help?

I have an old orange primos grunt tube with the Beatty buck on it that I found has the best sound; I also have an old Knight and Hale and Drury buck roar too though. I like the buck roar by Drury, but there's no volume on it without sounding like one of those noise makers from a kid's birthday party.
I did call in the buck in my avatar, he was passing by at 70 yards, I grunted to stop him, grunted some more and he seemed uninterested, snort wheezed and he bristled up almost immediately and came on in.

I actually can't remember the last time I grunted blindly. My approach to calling seems to be "less is more", unless the deer is in sight. Rattling blindly is a different story, with the right setup during the rut I'll rattle a ton. I remember doing a long bleating and grunting sequence in high school and then turning around to see a doe and two yearlings staring at me at 30 yds. They'd been there the whole time and received a good education.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I use buckroar and its hit or miss. First year they came out I felt I could call in any buck I could see, probably 80%+ success. Next year 0. There is a "right" sound in how you end the call that works really well.
This guy has several videos that helped me.

Top Bottom