Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Four Draw Giant

Ishi

PMA Member
I’m running on 4 hours of sleep since Saturday morning and about to crash! So this will be a revised shorter version and might not make sense.
We were discussing our opinions for the afternoon hunt and I was going to a new stand then we were discussing a part that he’s never walked yet and before you knew it was taking the LW to do a pack, hang and hunt thing.
There were two fingers jutting out to the corn field and if I couldn’t find a tree my back up plan was to go to the new stand.
Doing this I’m really hunting for a tree to set up in and at first I wasn’t liking what I was seeing. I was about to say screw it and go to the back up stand but I decided to keep going around to the west side. I seen a tree on the edge that would work perfect plus a fresh scrape was ten yards from the tree.
It’s easy to say after the fact but this setup had success written all over with the wind, terrain it just felt right. After the Wolf was hung I had to climb down to trim some branches, climbed back up dang still some in the way back down and back up.
Stand set up.
23897c2b92ec3e9660340cf4b47f74e7.jpg

North shot window.
b1c777c43e355920b8511260027c0631.jpg

Were the shot took place facing west. The buck was standing in the four rows of picked corn.
2eb9947021a0e22c8dff7637019b365b.jpg

The scape view from the stand.
adfd61793a5673115e90f04adb1aac88.jpg

I had two windows to shoot. The left one wasn’t the best but doable.
At 5:00 four does came out of the corn followed by two small bucks. They moved on by with no issues.... perfect.
Around 6:10 I looked hard left and around the corner came this buck and looked good but at first I thought 8 pt as he got closer WOW look at the G4’s.
Now it’s kill mode and remember this isn’t the favorable window. He’s 25 yards away I draw but I couldn’t get on him( I had the fever) so I let up. He took a few more steps I draw but I seen a branch had to let down. This happened again after a few steps.
He’s standing there not moving and his nose goes straight up in the air, not good he has a whiff of Ishi so I slide forward on the seat quick draw now I have a clear shot. Just as I released the arrow he spun towards me. Both of us can’t stop the enviable. I heard the arrow hit but I didn’t know where but I thought in the neck head on.
He crashed into the corn and I never seen him again as he ran. I heard him busting corn then a few seconds later I heard a louder crash then silence.
I took a compass bearing on the shot and the last place I heard noise. After 20 minutes I quietly took everything down and headed back to the house. While we were discussing the events we both thought he was dead but time was on our side so we waited till 8:30 to go look.
When we got to the shot no blood no arrow so we moved to where I heard noise last. I walk not far from him the first time but didn’t see him.
We kept moving north and I’m getting that sick feeling bad. We stop going north and started back tracking and Steve hollered here he is!!! His wife and I quickly ran over there. After several bear hugs everyone was silent for several minutes as we marveled at this animal.
As Steve went to get the truck his wife and I did the photo shoot and we both decided I suck at getting my picture taken but it’s all about the deer.
He was rough scored on the tail gate but I want to do another more accurate score.
d414355c470fbb5f7ba2105bc3f2b923.jpg

40ea6b768ebef13c2e5be3d8a633d4bc.jpg

5171b6a2c7895d6dc6776bfb23d5e866.jpg

The shot was better than I thought for the events that happened. It entered behind his right shoulder and exited out his left leg. The arrow got both lungs, liver complete pass through and he died were I heard the last noise. He was just a few feet from the corner fence.
69eea39a17dfd18051c9264c6d81dda6.jpg

e3f763906bcb5a583a65355890528076.jpg

As always I’ve been very blessed in hunting the amazing creatures and very grateful. I might post more later but I need sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wowser, what a stud of a whitetail! Way to keep it together under pressure and make a great shot! Congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Man that is awesome congrats! Hoping I have that happen in Allamakee County this next weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom