Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Triple on Oct 28

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Had a great morning, tagged out in about 2hrs! The buck was one that’s been around all summer and fall and always fighting or pushing off other bucks. Not the biggest rack but a tank of a body and a bad attitude. Made him a good one to get killed so some bigger bucks could move in! Big thanks to my brother and brother in law for helping drag all these out!

Here’s the long version of the story; woke up an hour late. Rushed to the stand and was set up right at first light. Had a nice 8 pushing a group of does and eventually one of the does worked her way towards me. She spotted me at about 40yds out and I thought that was it but she calmed down and came in to 25yds. I drew back and settled the pin and dropped her, not sure if she ducked at the shot or what, shot felt great. Anyway, within 5 minutes more deer were coming in and and within 30 minutes doe #2 was at 25yds looking at the first doe. I found an opening and settled the pin. Smoked her and watched her drop in site.

With one arrow left I knocked it thinking the morning couldn’t get much better. At 8:59 I lowered my bow and then unhooked two of the three straps on my trees suit. I knew there was some good hunting left but with two deer down I had work to do. Just as I was about to unclip the last strap for the tree suit I heard leaves crunching behind me. I look and see this buck at 40yds and closing fast. I rush to get the tree suit strapped back together and raise my bow. By now the buck is inside 15yds and the metal clip on my bow rope hits my bow, the buck looks up and I thought it was over.

He looks at me quick and then back at the doe. I knock my last arrow and get my glove stuck between the bowstring and arrow knock. I fumble with that and get the arrow reknocked. Draw back and lean around the tree. I settle the pin but I’m stuck in an awkward position so I let down. Again the buck looks at me but then back at doe #1. He takes a few more steps forward and I swing the bow to the other side of the tree, come to full draw again and think “would Bruce shoot this buck? Ya, but it’s not the whopper he wants. It’d also be nice to be home with Nicole and Hudson. And he’s got a big neck and nice cape.” So I smoked him at 10yds. The buck had to look up at me a half dozen times and never spooked. I guess it was meant to be!

3a4e23d921e129ad921d423fdbd1f9bc.jpg

ba2af8c60f562226d5ba073f4e7b5946.jpg

30ef1b01906240868d2fcc82e57851d0.jpg

80d8c171a9b0d88f1d96f35e5fa65ad2.jpg

ab60b22dea204d3ab1f005df43d57371.jpg

7b68d400206411efce5465d301c6e125.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice buck and quite a hunt, it's not often you get to empty a quiver and they're all kill shots. Sounds like it was pretty hectic when the buck approached. Way to pull it off!

• Deleted by LoessHillsArcher
Show…
Nice buck and quite a hunt, it's not often you get to empty a quiver and they're all kill shots. Sounds like it was pretty hectic when the buck approached. Way to pull it off!

It was all 4 of those practice arrows I shot this fall! Sad to say I shot more at deer and coyotes than the target this archery season. The benefit of having the same bow for 12 years. It's dead on every time I shoot

Love the story! Great buck. The only way I'd have passed on him is if a bigger one was closing the distance too. Good job! Triples r nice. Have yet to pull a quad.

Love the story! Great buck. The only way I'd have passed on him is if a bigger one was closing the distance too. Good job! Triples r nice. Have yet to pull a quad.

After last year I was ok killing the bully bucks and letting others get the big boys, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After last year I was ok killing the bully bucks and letting others get the big boys, haha

Those high tight racked bucks with long brow tines like that tend to b bullies. I think they figure out early on that they're better equipped for an inside, tight and in your face type of fight, than most other bucks with wider antlers and short brows. They've got to go IMO. I passed on a bully buck last year that ended up losing at least 1 eye. Haven't seen him yet this year, so dont know if he made it through the year. He was a nasty ol' boy.

Those high tight racked bucks with long brow tines like that tend to b bullies. I think they figure out early on that they're better equipped for an inside, tight and in your face type of fight, than most other bucks with wider antlers and short brows. They've got to go IMO. I passed on a bully buck last year that ended up losing at least 1 eye. Haven't seen him yet this year, so dont know if he made it through the year. He was a nasty ol' boy.

Oh ya, it was crazy. Every pic of this guy, even in velvet, he was posturing to other bucks and then when velvet dropped he was in multiple fights infront of our cameras. Even broke one and when I checked it it was laying on the ground and it looks like a buck fight happened infront of the cam, grass was torn up - sure enough it was!

Now thats a great day in the tree ! Congrats and yes he does have a beautiful cape !! Make a nice mount !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom