Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pretty sure he’s alive

Hodge

So I was forced to put the stalk on a deer. 4 bucks had a doe pinned in my tree line upwind of me. I could only hunt until 8:00 due to my sons baptism (horrible planning on the wife). I was able to sneak up to 10 yards of him. He was almost staring right at me then started to turn away and I let the arrow fly. I only penetrated half the arrow, assuming I buried it in his shoulder. Watched him run off with my lighter Nock hanging out. He was headed for a timber chunk. Rain is coming here soon. Any luck he might die from this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So was he quartering away from you when the arrow hit? How hard of an angle? So did it look like the arrow went in straight up from the leg? Most time on a shoulder or bone hit they don't run great and hold the leg up as the run, did you see and indication of that as he ran off?

If half of your arrow was sticking out then you got plenty of penetration, if that penetration was into the chest cavity then he is a dead deer.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

He was quartering towards me. I should have just shot him when he was looking right at my. He wasn’t wobbling too bad for just having a rage thrown at him. I was literally maybe 5-10 yards away. He looked like a giant that close standing up. Going to get a search party around 3 o’clock or so.

The key, as others have said, is how much penetration did you really get. If truly "half of the arrow", then that is a dead deer. If stuck in the shoulder, then it will probably survive.

You need to search...after the baptism. :)

Yea I’d say half the arrow. I’m 6’3” so my arrows aren’t that small.

If he was quartering towards you and you got half penetration around the shoulder area then that is a dead deer.

Keep us updated and good luck!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

If its any help, I hit a buck a little high and in the front shoulder hard last year. 4" of penetration max is all I got. He did not hardly flinch and im sure he survived. If you got half an arrow, id be looking for him! Good luck!

Half arrow penetration is a lot, and if thst is the case and it entered behind the shoulder he is dead as a stump. Let the tracking begin

I sure hope he’s dead. They’re are multiple does that are hot around my backyard. Does running all day with bucks in tow. Watched a buck mount and breed a doe from my living room window yesterday at 75 yards.

Well he wasn’t as big as I thought he was but he’ll do. He ran about 300 yards to a little river and died right away. I gave him 6 hours and he was real stiff. The arrow destroyed one of his lungs.
52736540714fd6b5db1bcbc50f32bb30.jpg

Top Bottom