Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Rut report

Saw several young bucks and possibly a 4 yr old yesterday morning to mid-afternoon. A little bit of chasing. The possible 4 yr old was hanging around a doe. Saw a possible shooter buck while checking cams after hunting, but he was probably 500 yds away and no idea which way he went after ducking into some trees. Dad said Saturday morning had some chasing action while doing chores.

Saturday evening was pretty slow for me around the Earlham area which was a little surprising. There was a lot more activity Sunday morning. There has been a big guy tearing up there area im currently set at and I didnt see anything until about 8 and was mostly young guys looking for a date. None of the does seemed nervous or in a hurry at all really. About 930 I saw a good rack coming down the hill to the south of me ( I sit in a sort of a bowl along a small creek bottom) and he got to about 60 yards and started thrashing some brush and I thought he would come right down but a doe popped out to the south of him so he chased her a bit and then another doe popped out to the west of me about 80 yards away and she got his attention. She started be bopping down a trail right at me with big boy in tow and no matter which route she took, i was going to have a shot if he followed. She ended up crossing the creek about 10 yards in front of me and he stayed on the other side of the creek where it would have been maybe a 25 yard shot. I pull up and drew back and sort of readjust to get settled in and ive never had this happen before but somehow I hit the trigger on my release as i was getting settled and flung the arrow about 10 yards from him. :mad:o_O. He actually started coming back but further to the east and he winded me and blew off all the way to Adair county. What a helpless feeling. Im still not sure how it happened, I always keep my finger firmly behind the trigger for just this reason. I wear a mitten so i can just poke my trigger finger out when it comes time so maybe my mitten brushed it? Oh well id rather it happened this way i guess then just flat out miss. I least this way i can say i definitely would have got it if my release didnt "malfuntion" right? Thats why they call it hunting and not killing.
I feel your frustration Sparky...Thursday morning I had a shooter broadside at 12 yards, but he was on my right side and I couldn't get in position for a shot (I hunt off the ground, no blind). So then Saturday night I have an even bigger shooter mulling around for a good half hour at about 50 to 60 yards. Hit him with a grunt, but he wouldn't leave his doe's side. Doe finally makes her way through my shooting lane at 30 yards. When the buck steps behind a tree, I come to full draw fully anticipating getting a shot, only only he walks through my shooting lane with his rear facing me. I hold my draw hoping he will turn and give me a shot, when I look to my right and standing there at 8 yards staring me in the face is the shooter I had an encounter with on Thursday. He spooks and the bigger buck never came any closer. Then tonight, i decided to sit in a dead fall closer to where I saw the bigger buck on Saturday. Five minutes before the end of LST, here he comes, trailing a doe down a trail, only he comes to my right side. Naturally, that was the only direction I couldn't shoot, so I'm just sitting there staring at what would be my biggest buck to date at 15 yards broadside with no shot. Hopefully one of these days his luck will run out...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: arm
Seen 4 bucks and a dozen or so does/fawns two baskets and two 3.5 year olds, a small amount of chasing , but mostly just heavy feeding by all the deer, they were on beans , brassicas, buck forage oats, and sugar beet tops, they all fed on some BlackBerry woody browse

Didn't see a single set of antlers ALL day today. All does and fawns. Put on many miles. Stripped down to dry out and eat a late lunch before sitting a stand for the evening. Shirts froze solid instead of drying. Ended up throwing my travel coat on under my insulated coveralls. Deer were already feeding in the bean field a bit after 3 when I walked to my stand. I must have looked like a mix between the Mitchelen Man and Sasquatch. More slick heads passed by my stand on their way to the field, but no bone to be seen. It was a weird day.

Yesterday. I Was on my way up a fence to go sit off Of the edge of a bedding area. Fence line isn't very thick. Of course I Jump a 4 year old 140-150 with 2 does off the fence line. Figures, I was only half way to my spot.

I feel your frustration Sparky...Thursday morning I had a shooter broadside at 12 yards, but he was on my right side and I couldn't get in position for a shot (I hunt off the ground, no blind). So then Saturday night I have an even bigger shooter mulling around for a good half hour at about 50 to 60 yards. Hit him with a grunt, but he wouldn't leave his doe's side. Doe finally makes her way through my shooting lane at 30 yards. When the buck steps behind a tree, I come to full draw fully anticipating getting a shot, only only he walks through my shooting lane with his rear facing me. I hold my draw hoping he will turn and give me a shot, when I look to my right and standing there at 8 yards staring me in the face is the shooter I had an encounter with on Thursday. He spooks and the bigger buck never came any closer. Then tonight, i decided to sit in a dead fall closer to where I saw the bigger buck on Saturday. Five minutes before the end of LST, here he comes, trailing a doe down a trail, only he comes to my right side. Naturally, that was the only direction I couldn't shoot, so I'm just sitting there staring at what would be my biggest buck to date at 15 yards broadside with no shot. Hopefully one of these days his luck will run out...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Keep at it Dylan...Eli shoot 2 on Saturday evening...Unfortunately they were both trees...LOL

.......somehow I hit the trigger on my release as i was getting settled and flung the arrow about 10 yards from him. :mad:o_O........

Driving home saw 1/2 dozen pairs bedded in open fields. Lock down for a day or two and then should be good again.

Bumping the trigger....Sorry, can't resist telling this story....

As a young, inexperienced, and broke hunter, I was looking for redemption after taking a lot of crap from my buddies for screwing up my first 2 shots at 2 different bucks. I was on a morning "hunt" sitting on my bucket in a tree line between 2 hay fields. 3 other friends were hunting in the same 100 acres. A buck comes walking up the tree line right at me and I went into full draw at 50 yds. At 20 yds I was going to send one right through the brisket as I had seen a friend drop a doe like that days earlier.

At 40 yds the buck picked me out and took off full speed across the hay field. I followed him with my pin, wanting to let a frustration arrow fly but I knew better. As I was letting my bowstring down, I bumped the trigger. The 1/2 throttle arrow launched at about 30 degree angle. I bet it went 40 ft in the air.....before descending into the lung running buck! I watched the buck crash in the open field. I went over and saw it only has about 6" inches penetration. I quickly pushed the arrow through for a "clean pass through". My buddies would never know I accidentally shot a deer. ;)

I kept my secret for several years until one night around the poker table after a few drinks I finally fessed up. One guy named Jim was riding me particularly hard about screwing up 3 in a row. He had drank a bit too much so all was forgiven.....

So we all meet the next day after a morning hunt and old Jim shows up with a fat bloody lip. Seems he was having difficulty with the angle on a deer from inside his ground blind. As he was trying to draw back on a deer off to his right, he bumped the trigger and punched himself in the face!!! He never gave me any crap again.:):)

Last edited:
Thats good stuff but you should have played it off like thats exactly what you meant to do! thanks for sharing! I dont get to spend near the time I used to in the woods, if i get out 4-6 times to bow hunt thats a good year for me so I feel fortunate to be able to have opportunities at deer like that with little to no effort in scouting etc. Im also very fortunate to be able to wake up with the world in a tree stand, it was a beautiful morning Sunday. Ill be back out saturday so hopefully they are back to moving by then.

Ahhhhhh. Nothing quite like hunting a timber while farmers pull their honey wagons around fields on 3 sides of you. At least it makes for a good cover scent. Who needs Nose Jammer...

My buddy and I took off the 6-14 and hunted almost every day. Saw more than our fair share of dinks and basket racks with some light chasing. First evening out we split up and sat different stands. I watched a mature buck with a hot doe bed down, but had several does with bucks running around and feeding. Nothing much the rest of the week. Had one good evening last Friday with a mature buck chasing hard, but the doe would not follow the script and bring him close. Sunday night had 15 does on the field with a buck and nothing happening at all in the way of chasing, etc. Been a strange one so far and I think there is some form of “lockdown” going on right now. Back to work now and will be hitting it Sunday again to see if they are cruising yet and chasing more.

Was out Saturday and didn't see much for rut activity. Saw one buck crossing the road while driving in the dark. Not sure if he was cruising or just normal movement. Saw a few young bucks from the stand following doe/fawn groups. No real chasing. Guessing those were already bred/out of estrous. Dad saw some chasing on that farm Friday night though.

Was out Saturday and didn't see much for rut activity. Saw one buck crossing the road while driving in the dark. Not sure if he was cruising or just normal movement. Saw a few young bucks from the stand following doe/fawn groups. No real chasing. Guessing those were already bred/out of estrous. Dad saw some chasing on that farm Friday night though.
My buddy and I went out on Saturday in Madison county. Quiet until around 8am then had 3 does hauling ass with a 2.5 year old hot on their trail. Shortly after another young buck came through. Next 20 minutes there was nothing but bucks chasing does doing circles around my stand. Had a shooter chasing a single doe with another young buck. Then dead. Fun to watch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Saturday was one of my best ever sits without releasing an arrow. 2 mature bucks with a doe under 80 yards for over an hour. Full draw twice and 25ish other deer.

Painful drive to the boys football banquet last night at 4:45. Saw a couple big boys from the road out cruising and tons of deer hitting the food. Obviously the football coach don't hunt. :rolleyes:

I sat Friday morning and had one of my best days in the last four years. While mostly small bucks were the ones moving, there was movement from first light until 11am, almost nonstop. A lot of response to rattling and grunting that morning. Very little response to a doe decoy I set up last night. However, last night I saw one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen on our farm in the daylight but he didn't come within 100 yds and had zero interest in the decoy. It seems like, at least in my area, the rut is starting up abnormally late this year with movement just now increasing and light chasing by immature bucks just beginning.

Saw what looked like a decent buck moving this morning on the way to work. Only saw one side, so not sure how big he was. Last year I saw the biggest deer of the season the day before Thanksgiving (on the way to work).

Sat on cut corn field last night 11/18. Best hunt so far. Had 5 does and bunch of yearlings out early with 3 little bucks and one 3.5 yr old 9 pt chasing one of the does all over. Saw a big mature 10 pt at noon out cruising. Think the next week will be best week of rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom