Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moisture in Covert Trail Cameras - ideas?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I am done using Coverts after being a big fan for a lot of years. Gonna look at some alternatives. Any suggestions appreciated..... I've got all the models - MP8, Code Black, Mavericks, whatever..... We get good amount of rain, MOST of them will have moisture in them. Plug is in the bottom & the cameras are "sealed". It's the seal that's not working properly. Absolutely should not be happening!!!!! The inside of the camera will be full of moisture & often you can see moisture in from of the IR flash. So tired of it. Yes- when I close them, the seal looks perfect and it's sealed the way it was designed to be - seal in place. I've had them for YEARS and have tons of them. Sick of having them get moisture & sending them in. Shouldn't need to. Constantly having to send in cameras over failures is just a pain in the butt.

1) Is there a solution for the moisture? Should I put those little packs inside the cameras to absorb it? anything to make the seal better? I read a few places maybe guys were putting a "big rubber band" around the seal.
2) Long term - which brands of cameras are you all seeing no moisture ever after running enough of them over time? Some examples of companies or models that have this figured out?
I know there's better options out there. A few guys on here have some other brands I'd like to try but wanted some general input. Any help appreciated!!!!

**I did order some 10 gram silica gel packs to put by batteries when I check em. That's my starting idea.

Last edited:
Get some Spartans and be done with checking cameras. Just need to go in to change batteries (not often). Seriously the best purchase on cameras that I've made. I set them up facing trails or on scrapes because they are a little slower, but they are worth it for keeping the pressure low.

I like my browning camera as well. My best pictures come from that camera but I'm not framing anything so I don't put too much value in cams that have over 8MP.

I have 8 coverts and the ones that work the best still are the small MP6 ones that were like $85. Those things are probably 8 years old. My MP8's are hit and miss whether or not they work for me. They have moisture in them every time I check them too. I stopped worrying about them and now just keep them out until they stop working all together.

The best overall camera I have is Spypoint Solar, no more batteries. Great day pics, a bit blurry on some night pics...but great trigger speed too. Never had any moisture issues.

Skip, Maybe you should quit trying to get pics of the fish in the pond. That might solve your water infiltration issues...;) I've had two coverts over the years. The little CA3 which was a great idea. All of the internals were accessed from the bottom, you had to have a corded remote to change setting though which was a pain, but it really eliminated any potential water issues. I have a Red 40 now and it's going on year 3 or 4. No problem with it at all. Other than ants and earwigs, I've never had issues with anything foreign getting into my cameras. Mine are almost always strapped to a tree, so they really aren't exposed to rain very badly. Maybe that's part of it? Do you run yours on posts or stakes out in the open?

I've had moisture in a couple coverts and one Bushnell was really bad this year after all that rain we had a few weeks ago. Had one moutlrie that was infested with ants this summer as well.

Got silica pads. 10 gram packs. Should stuff in there just fine.
No sticks. On trees.
I run a lot of trail cams. Good problem to have & not how it was even 10 years ago. Run em for even reasons like hidden cams for security. So- I get to run the #’s on these & see consistency. If I only had 1 cam go bad- freak things happen. Over a lot of cameras- I’m easily at a 10% failure rate. Easy. Per year. I’d say closer to 20%. I’d say 100 cameras not including other family. I’d say in a one year period, 15-20 I send back. Coverts & bushnells. (Same designer & often made at same plants in China). What I started with years ago but likely time to make some changes. Which I’m going to.
Silica packs be my temp solution. Long term: cams with better seals, that bottom access is smart. Agree!!! Yes- I will quit using them to snap pictures of bass & crappy. I just thought underwater pics were “cool” & unique. I’m gonna try a few brands. :). Few guys on here that support 2-3 brands- I’ll give some of those a whirl for sure. Thx guys. Any more input appreciated!!!

The best overall camera I have is Spypoint Solar, no more batteries. Great day pics, a bit blurry on some night pics...but great trigger speed too. Never had any moisture issues.
I run coverts, but I just put out my first spypoint solar. I've had good luck with my coverts, but one just started acting funny, which is likely due to moisture. I've noticed myself that their seals are pretty poor and my lockboxes have probably added some extra protection from water issues. Word on the street is that the spypoint solars can run all season on a single set of batteries, so time will tell. I picked one up off ebay for $115 and they're for sale in the $130 range quite often.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes, water can be an issue. I make sure the bottom hole is open for drainage. Otherwise a good cam at a good price.

Top Bottom