Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Midtimber plot

cybball

Going to make a small clearing in my timber a little bigger this winter and plant a food plot. Will clover do ok in partial sun/shade? Is there a good seed that works well in these type of areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clover is probably your best option in a situation like that. BUT...let me throw a few words of caution your way in regards to "in timber" plots.

You need to open up enough canopy to get sun to the floor for I would say, 4-8 hours per day. That will require more tree removal than what many anticipate...you really need some good openings that catch the summer sun.

You will probably need to amend the soil, adding fertilizer and lime. Do a soil test and go from there. Don't skip this step if you want success.

You can contour your plot around current tree stand locations and create natural pinch points too...but I would recommend not leaving tree standing in the plot...as you will always be removing fallen branches AND they take up a lot of moisture and minerals from your plot. Although I have been known to leave a good tree or two standing in the plot...particularly if they have good low hanging branches that the bucks will scrape under.

The biggest problem I have with mine is it is a big leaf catch late fall. Late winner during TSI work. A leaf blower and about an hour is what it takes for me on a quarter acre spot. Daver is spot on.

I did this exact thing this fall. Clover did well. Rye did well. I tried radishes. They did not do well. Take a soil test as heavy lime likely required. You will likly have to keep up on lime yearly being surrounded by trees.

Thanks. Didn’t know they did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know of one that doesn't do soil tests. Also, they may supply you with plastic sleeves to put your soil test in. Call ahead and ask them if they have a preference as to how you deliver the soil to be tested to them.

Top Bottom