Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When do the big boys get up and move in the late season?

The Silence

PMA Member
Wanted to get your opinions on late season hunting for the big boys. I've had a very difficult time even seeing bucks in late archery season after shotgun season- so this year I'm going to try to concentrate on a few important locations under the right circumstances.

(1) There is a deep ditch that the deer tend to concentrate in during windy, cold weather. It has quite a few cedars in it as well. I've never tried setting up outside of that area in order to catch them as they leave the ditch after the storm breaks. Do you guys have any tactics for bad weather refuges?

(2) I've seen really mature deer get up out of their beds early to head to food sources when you get really cold weather. If I was set up near a known buck bedding area during those unseasonably cold times I may be able to pick him off.

(3) I know deer like south facing slopes at that time. Do bucks tend to hang out with does on these south facing slopes or not. Not sure how I'd hunt them but I thought about still hunting my way in. Any ideas?

I'm assuming the big boys will be tucked away in the securest places they can find but I'm just trying to figure out what types of conditions may get them up on their feet earlier than usual.

Late season is about one thing. Food. They have to eat or they die. They are truly slaves to their stomachs. The colder the better. If snow on the ground, better yet. Forget mornings completely. Hunt the best possible food preferable close to security cover. Set up so you can get out without the deer ever knowing. When talking muzzleloader, I prefer to set up on the food itself (within range), so exactly where they are bedding is of little concern. In your case, talking bow, I would concentrate on transition are between the two. I would NOT want to be directly on the food with a bow unless you have a really well planned exit route so as to not blow all the deer out.

If planned and executed well, I think it is one of the easier times of year to get a mature deer on the ground. Without food, you'd just have to get lucky.

is that your picture? You look like Grant Woods. lol

If you get a stretch of bad nasty weather coldn windy when that breaks they will feed !

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom