Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Rut report

Last night I drove around some of the areas I shotgun hunt. Seen an absolute stud 160-170 inch 10-12 pointer feeding with about 20 does/ small bucks. He took off after a doe that was in heat, he was completely uncontested. Then hit a couple more areas. And seen a couple more bucks cruising around looking for the last hot does.

Saw very little rut until about nov. 12 here in s.e. iowa. Sightings of big ones were scarce. Worst year in a long time for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hunted all day on Tue, S Central IA, 8" snow depth. Decent am activity on secluded brassica plot. Two 2-3 yr old bucks showed up around 1100 to check on the 10+ does that had been milling around the area, no mature shooter bucks. Midday movement was a bit slower. More does back in the brassicas around 1600 and I decided I had bought my doe tag for a purpose so I let one fly 33 yards.

My last early bow season hunt was Central IA this am in a reliable doe bedding area. Four anterless around me by 0700. Passed a nice 135ish three yr old 9 at 15 steps after he came in to check on the does-fawns. Second pass for him at point blank range in Nov - hopefully I can see him next yr or in 2020.

I know most have given up on am hunts by now but I think solid bedding areas or secluded plots that see midday doe traffic are still worth some seat time.
72ab782ab8c25f538bbf3fb695e53030.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I forgot to post yesterday. On the way to work in a.m. I saw several deer out in fields, and two decent bucks crossing the road in front of me. Guessing they were looking for does.

Top Bottom