Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pack in, hang, and hunt treestand sets

ATChunter32

Looking for input and advice on lightweight easy to hang/take down tree stands for public land hunts or having more mobility and versatility if anyone has experience with setups they like. I’ve researched some of the options from Lone Wolf. Just interested to hear if anybody has a set up that works well for them? I know many guys like climbers but I like the ability to pick trees that are in the best spot, rather than being limited to a particular tree.

Ive got a Hawk Helium setup...all of my buddies at deer camp preferred my setup vs their lonewolfs... Biggest thing is just finding something you like... I have both a climber and 2 separate hang and hunt sets, being able to move and adjust is huge

I also have Hawk. I have a Helium XL stand and 6 Helium sticks to use. I don't carry all 6. I also have an XOP and 5 original Muddy sticks that work well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have a LW set up with many sticks. I had an old climber, but hated that the tree had to be perfect to use it. This fall's set wouldn't ahve been possible with any thing short of sticks, as I started up one side of a three trunked tree, spun over to another, hung the stand on the third.

I use a Millennium M7 and Lonewolf sticks. Swapped out the factory straps on the sticks for rope as suggested on a different thread but did not like it and went back to the straps. Only issue I have now is transporting the sticks, wish there was a way to strap them to the stand in an organized fashion that makes them quiet during transport. Will have to get creative this winter.

I have used a lone wolf stand and sticks for probably 10 years now and don't have any reason to switch it up. I hang and hunt 95% of the time with multiple spots over a half mile in.

Lonewolf Alpha and 4 sticks carried on a Badlands pack has worked very well for me for years. That is what I hunt from at least 90% of the time.

Personally I think the key is not the specific stand but how you hang the stand. Any stand that has a bracket you can strap to the tree and then "lock" in the stand after pulling is up separate is pretty tough to beat. I've used hawk & muddy sticks, I think they both work just fine. The muddy's are maybe just a little quieter.

I've got this on an older muddy stand and it's been the best hang/hunt investment I've made. I have 7 super mount plates so I can leave them in trees I'll continually hunt & it makes a setup extremely fast.

https://shop.gomuddy.com/super-mount/

I'm a fan of the Hawk Helium's for permanent setups but they don't compare to my muddy with the super mount for hang & hunts.

IF you can find a Muddy bloodsport (rope hanging system with no loud buckles) and their muddy pro sticks was the best out there. Nowadays your best option is probably a Millenium M7 or a lone wolf with the muddy pro sticks.

Lone Wolf Assault with 3 muddy sticks. I carry a couple extra screw in steps in my pack and can easily get 22-25' up in most trees. I've been using this set up for 12-15 years. I have no complaint. It's light, sturdy, quiet, easy to set. I have a lot of pre set stands but I still do several hang & hunts every year.

do you strap the stand to your pack or strap your pack to the stand?

Wear the pack and use the 2 horizontal straps on the pack to hold the stand. Sticks are secured to stand with the 2 stand straps before attaching all of that to the pack.

I have a lone wolf hand climber and a lone wolf assault. I use the assault enough that I'd sell the hand climber. It's in good shape I just dont get enough use out of it.

I was in this dilemma in preparation for this season. Always used a LW climber before but didnt like settling for a tree that worked instead of a tree that was in the perfect location. To each their own, but after looking at all options I settled on the XOP stand and sticks. I chose this set because of cost, weight, packablity and reviews. I did upgrade to the rope mode and very glad I did. I can now get into pretty much any tree quick and most importantly quiet. I use the set up 95% of my hunts. 20181128_162023.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was in this dilemma in preparation for this season. Always used a LW climber before but didnt like settling for a tree that worked instead of a tree that was in the perfect location. To each their own, but after looking at all options I settled on the XOP stand and sticks. I chose this set because of cost, weight, packablity and reviews. I did upgrade to the rope mode and very glad I did. I can now get into pretty much any tree quick and most importantly quiet. I use the set up 95% of my hunts. View attachment 117294

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ive always looked into that rope mod but never had the nads to try it . I second the bracket idea, I have XOP silver with the brackets, the brackets made it 5x easier to hang. Only thing id change is getting muddy pro sticks.

Lone wolf assault and 4 lone wolf sticks. Have molle backpack straps and belt strapped to the stand that makes it a lot more enjoyable to haul in a ways. Attached to the stand is a small lightweight backpack. I just hang that on the teeth of the stand and it stays pretty secure.

One thing I would recommend instead of bungees or straps to hold all your sticks on the stand is a set of night-ize gear ties. I thread 2 thru the stand and put my weight on the sticks and twist them a few times and that thing is rock solid. They’re basically sound proof and add no weight whatsoever. They’re pretty slick.
88b03516775a53434c7a126e7d3c9eba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a summit viper a few years back and have gotten pretty handy with it. That said, I wish I had gotten a stand with sticks. Like mentioned, finding the right sized tree that is also straight can be a real pain in the ass.

Seems like this is the new era way to hunt anymore!! Also seems like a lot of work but in reality I feel like it could be very deadly for monster bucks! Having a new attack plan for every hunt, the more and more I think about it it sounds very intriguing to me might have to look into it and try it next year acouple times!!

Seems like this is the new era way to hunt anymore!! Also seems like a lot of work but in reality I feel like it could be very deadly for monster bucks! Having a new attack plan for every hunt, the more and more I think about it it sounds very intriguing to me might have to look into it and try it next year acouple times!!

I've never done a hang and hunt before, but I agree the approach is intriguing. Having the element of surprise and and ability to adapt to weather conditions and fresh stand locations has to improve the odds. My biggest concern is lugging it all in and trying not to spook everything out banging around in the dark and then discovering once it gets light that I dont have a decent shooting lane.

Top Bottom