Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need Help Again Guys, You all were right last time

Trapshooter1

Ok, Scenario 80 yards, standing nice buck. 20 gauge shotgun. I put it right on the shoulder. He mule kicked, ran right into the timber. Waited 2 hours. Went and looked for blood. Not much blood finding a little here and a little there. And found a chunk of Bone with blood on it. Dead or alive?? We didnt pursue into timber, because not a lot of blood. Decided to wait till tommorow.

If need be Plan B is to push it out. And put people on stand.

That sounds like a possible leg shot, with finding a chunk of bone. If so, I would go with the plan B. Surround him and push him out. The mule kick is often a sign of a good hit, but not always IMO. Since you had very light blood...I would play it safe and try to surround him, etc.

I assume you are hunting with a group since you mentioned “we” and you said plan b was to surround the timber and push him. IMO you should’ve surrounded the timber and went after him after you seen him mule kick unless you feel the coyotes are full from your bow buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably blistered him, I have just not had good blood trails this year. Awesome shots dead deer... You got him...:)

(To answer a few questions) I was hunting by myself. But I do hunt with a family group on the weekend. And we didnt tag out, I shot him at last light. (And my bow buck wasnt chewed on by coyotes) All the deer I've shot over the years I've never had coyotes get ahold of one. I dont think the Coyotes are that thick here.

Only time I saw bone was a leg shot. Deer move pretty good on three legs. I’d go back and follow up on the blood, being ready to shoot if you jump him. Good luck, it didn’t work out well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only time I saw bone was a leg shot. Deer move pretty good on three legs. I’d go back and follow up on the blood, being ready to shoot if you jump him. Good luck, it didn’t work out well for me.

Same here, blood trailed the buck a long ways never found him until two months later. Get some buddies and be ready for a follow-up shot. And deer can move FAST on three legs. It is amazing

I have had none on shoulder hits too and have tended to see lighter blood then. Interesting thou as I thought if you caught anything behind the shoulder you would have some blood coming out mouth and nose by then. I would surround the timber and still hunt slowly while following trail

Top Bottom