Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to clear misfire??

Ried#3

Im new to muzzle loading and trying to teach myself. I purchased an CVA Optima V2. I fired the primer and the charge did not fire. My question is how to clear the barrel? This is an in-line.

2 options in my opinion. Make sure to reseat the bullet tight on the powder and try another primer. If the powder got wet, that probably won’t work.
If that doesn’t work, take out the breech plug and push the load out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I know it’s probably a silly question by just want to stay safe, If I push it through....just using the rod the same direction as if I were loading it and push the charge and sabot through?

What powder are you using? Each powder is different and each gun shoots differently. Accuracy wise, you maybe able to shoot twenty shots before your accuracy suffers, you may be able to shoot one shot. I run a bore snake through my barrel after each shot and get the best accuracy that way. It kind of stinks, but that's what my gun likes. Cleanliness wise, even if you're shooting a "dirty" powder like pyrodex, you should still be able to shoot at least 20 times before NEEDING to clean your breech plug and barrel. But that's literally talking about just being able to shoot, that's not taking into account any kind of accuracy. Muzzleloaders are a ton of fun but can be finicky. Just take your time, take extra bullets and powder and have fun with it. Oh and a hot muzzy barrel almost always means accuracy issues. Give it time between shots.

If they shoot well for you. Stick with them. I (and most others) would HIGHLY recommend getting the blackhorn breechplug for your gun and start shooting blackhorn 209. It burns super clean and is not very corrosive at all. Can't recommend it highly enough for a black powder. Just a suggestion to think about. Bullet wise (since you asked;)) Barnes are the way to go from my experience. There are others that shoot well, but nothing I've found will consistently kill and make good blood trails like Barnes.

exactly what Lyon said as far as powder suggestion and bullet you wont find a better black powder combo. But for me when Im sighting in my muzzy I clean the barrel after every shot...Not the full clean but i run a wet patch down followed by several dry patches. My reasoning behind this is my barrel will be clean when I go hunt and shoot for the first time so i want it sighted for a clean barrel. With that being said when im out on doe patrol I will shoot and then reload and shoot and reload, etc. and still with perfect accuracy

If you're having a lot of misfires try cleaning your flashhole on the breech plug. We use a drill bit and run it with our hands into the flash hole. Then a small piece of wire to clean out the very small end of the flash hole. It would be hard to do but make sure to not remove any metal when cleaning with the drill bit. We noticed our misfires clear up 100% once we started cleaning the flash hole of the breech plug out.

The first time we cleaned it out was tough though. Years of build up was really cemented in there.

If you're having a lot of misfires try cleaning your flashhole on the breech plug. We use a drill bit and run it with our hands into the flash hole. Then a small piece of wire to clean out the very small end of the flash hole. It would be hard to do but make sure to not remove any metal when cleaning with the drill bit. We noticed our misfires clear up 100% once we started cleaning the flash hole of the breech plug out.

The first time we cleaned it out was tough though. Years of build up was really cemented in there.

FWIW, I use compressed air to keep that little hole clean...but make sure you are not passing any moisture through your air compressor if you do that.

CVA sells a breech plug cleaning kit with two properly sized bits to clean the QRBP fire channel and flash hole. I like to clean the plug fire channel and flash hole after each shooting session. Primer fouling really packs in hard and can constrict the flash channel to the point of severe blowback, and even mis/hangfires. No matter how hard one tries, it’s unlikely to get all fouling out of the fire channel.

The small bit could be used in the field to pick the flash hole clean.

This is a no brainer, but worth mentioning: always be sure to wait a few minutes after a misfire to run the ramrod down the bore. Hangfires happen!

3501A76E-09F9-42A3-916C-52E7CF5FBA93.png

This is a no brainer, but worth mentioning: always be sure to wait a few minutes after a misfire to run the ramrod down the bore. Hangfires happen!

View attachment 117366

Misfires scare the crap out of me, because I've seen a hangfire or two. Hold onto that gun and keep it pointed in a safe direction. I will usually try to pop a couple more primers just to get it to go off before I unload it.

Misfires scare the crap out of me, because I've seen a hangfire or two. Hold onto that gun and keep it pointed in a safe direction. I will usually try to pop a couple more primers just to get it to go off before I unload it.
You aren’t kidding!

I’ve never, personally, experienced a hangfire with an inline, but recall two hangfires with other firearms.

For misfires, I usually hold onto the gun for about a minute before setting the gun down, still pointed in a safe direction, waiting a few more minutes. Then run the rod to check that the charge is seated, before trying again...or pull the plug to push out the load.

On another note, if you’re having trouble with multiple misfires (with a clean breech plug), a hotter primer might help. Don’t recall having a misfire since I switched to blue box W209’s and use the plug cleaning kit after every shooting session. Loose powder, not pellets, though.

Top Bottom