Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Licence Clarification Question

Hey guys. Just a quick question regarding group hunting and licenses. I know everyone in the group would need to have a valid Hunting license to participate, but just wondered if they all need to have a valid Deer tag/license. Such as if they just wanted to go out and help drive deer or sit with someone, but not shoot anything. I'm thinking they still need to have the Deer tag/license, but just wanted to clarify.

To sit with someone and not help at all, keep them company, or learn...then no license needed. To assist or participate in any way, like help on a drive or even blow a deer call, then they should be fully licensed.

Licensed for that particular season and or county if you just have a doe tag...

To sit with someone and not help at all, keep them company, or learn...then no license needed. To assist or participate in any way, like help on a drive or even blow a deer call, then they should be fully licensed.

I’d add they shouldn’t touch a firearm or possess ammo.

A friend had a CO chastise him for using his young sons to help flush pheasants when they did not have hunting licenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^This is correct^

I called the DNR. The guest “may not participate”. Arm’s length away. Can’t TOUCH the gun. Can’t TOUCH the deer. Can’t fill a spot in the drive or block.

Group of us had this same conversation this weekend and I really think this is one of those gray areas that is subject to the officers discretion. I would hope this is correct though.

I just called the DNR and talked to them about this issue.
My daughter still has an unfilled youth tag and I want to take her out this weekend. I do not have a shotgun season 2 tag but I do have archery tags, hunting license, habitat, etc.
They confirmed that I am legal as a Mentor to take her Youth hunting as it would be impossible for me to have tags for every possible season youth are allowed to hunt.

"Fully licensed" as in Hunting License and Deer Tag/License?

I’d add they shouldn’t touch a firearm or possess ammo.

A friend had a CO chastise him for using his young sons to help flush pheasants when they did not have hunting licenses.

Kids under 16 years old don’t have to be licensed and can participate in the hunt, flush birds or even shoot their own limits without being licensed as long as they are with a licensed adult. What county was your friend from? Obviously they would need a deer tag to shoot deer.

Kids under 16 years old don’t have to be licensed and can participate in the hunt, flush birds or even shoot their own limits without being licensed as long as they are with a licensed adult. What county was your friend from? Obviously they would need a deer tag to shoot deer.

They were probably hunting Iowa County, 15 years ago.

To clarify, I am referring to adults above. It is legal and I frequently do assist youth without a tag for me in their season but I do have a general license and have or had a deer tag for a different season. As far as unlicensed kids helping, others folks here would know more than me about that.

Good conversation and help for the OP by all here.

Top Bottom