Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mercer County, MO CWD Positive

Sucks for sure. We now have it in the county I reside in and a couple counties close by in PA. Makes me worry, my world evolves around whitetail deer and would hate to see hunting as we know it change.

I bet if they tested every single deer, nation wide, CWD is everywhere. It's just to what degree. Almost all deer with CWD will die from a car, a truck, a bullet, or an arrow. That is a fact. There is no need to up the kill or even worse have sharp shooters come in and eradicate local herds.

I bet if they tested every single deer, nation wide, CWD is everywhere. It's just to what degree. Almost all deer with CWD will die from a car, a truck, a bullet, or an arrow. That is a fact. There is no need to up the kill or even worse have sharp shooters come in and eradicate local herds.

You are correct, most CWD deer die of causes other than CWD but they will have spread the prion for years before they were killed. What remains to be seen is in Wisconsin where prevalence has topped 50% in bucks and close to 35% in does in the original CWD area. The deer will die of all the causes listed plus they will start dying from CWD. This will be nonsustainable. The next 5 years will be, in my opinion, critical in determining to what extent CWD will have in Wisconsin and that can be extrapolated to the rest of the areas with CWD.

Illinois has used sharp shooters targeting family groups. Their goal is to keep CWD at 5% prevalence or less and so far they have been successful in slowing the spread.

Bottom line, the solutions to slowing the spread of CWD are not socially and therefore politically acceptable. My deer hunting will not be impacted, other than getting deer tested before I eat them, but the future is where our concern should be.

You are correct, most CWD deer die of causes other than CWD but they will have spread the prion for years before they were killed. What remains to be seen is in Wisconsin where prevalence has topped 50% in bucks and close to 35% in does in the original CWD area. The deer will die of all the causes listed plus they will start dying from CWD. This will be nonsustainable. The next 5 years will be, in my opinion, critical in determining to what extent CWD will have in Wisconsin and that can be extrapolated to the rest of the areas with CWD.

Illinois has used sharp shooters targeting family groups. Their goal is to keep CWD at 5% prevalence or less and so far they have been successful in slowing the spread.

Bottom line, the solutions to slowing the spread of CWD are not socially and therefore politically acceptable. My deer hunting will not be impacted, other than getting deer tested before I eat them, but the future is where our concern should be.

It has NOT slowed the geographic spread in Illinois. Almost the same number of counties are impacted (CWD positive county) in IL as are WI. It HAS kept the overall prevalence rate from expanding.

The DNR implemented late rifle season in Wayne and Appanoose this year due to finding it in SE Wayne county last year. How much do you want to bet that late rifle season returns to Decatur next year and increased antlerless permits are issued for Decatur as well. The DNR will want to knock the population down with it being only 4 miles south of the border/Decatur County. I bet they will do additional testing in SE Decatur this year as well.

APR's were removed in Mercer County prior to this hunting season. They will be removed from Harrison County for the 2019 season.

It's just a matter of time before CWD is everywhere IMO. I'm not sure anyone really knows yet what the long term impact on whitetail hunting will be once it is everywhere. It's something we're prob going to have to live with unless deer can develop an immunity to it. But from what i've heard from some friends in the medical community is that deer can't develop an immunity to it?

The positive was found on a property west of my place. I saw a picture of the dead buck and would have never known anything was wrong with him.

I'd be interested in learning more about the SS, SF and FF genotypes and if one is really more resilient to CWD or not and if the state agencies are testing CWD positives for that also.

The positive was found on a property west of my place. I saw a picture of the dead buck and would have never known anything was wrong with him.

I'd be interested in learning more about the SS, SF and FF genotypes and if one is really more resilient to CWD or not and if the state agencies are testing CWD positives for that also.

Gosh damned, thats terrible... hate that it didnt even have a sign/symptoms of the crud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom