Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Strategies When They Aren’t Moving

IowaHusker

Hey all,

I’m limited on the land I can hunt this shotgun season, and have two plots - one about 30 acres of mostly timber, and another about 100 acres but 95 of it being picked corn field. Neither piece of land really ‘holds’ deer, and both are mostly highways back and forth between either bedding areas or food (the corn was picked EARLY and has nothing left to give). I had success hunting the rut during archery, but with this gun season they just aren’t moving during daylight.

What are your strategies this late in the season when they aren’t up and moving due to the hunting pressure? In years past I’d have more land and do a deer drive but that’s not an option this year. Would you still try grunting? Rattling? There are deer on adjacent fields with food sources, just not on land I can hunt. What’s your strategy?

Pick the thickest one and sit down, pray something gets pushed around by other hunters? Walk some public?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask the neighbors for permission.. offer to help on the farm.. bring the turkey on Christmas day... etc etc you get the point

Skip shotgun season and get a late muzzy tag. Sounds like you have a good food source for when it gets chilly and the deer are calmed down.

If your area doesn't hold deer, and all the corn is gone, why would there be any movement?

Wait til this weekend and choose the area with higher deer #’s that gets the most pressure surrounding it. Sit tight and wait for deer to get bumped towards you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Whitetail world. They have 14 hours of darkness to eat. It will take cold weather and snow to get mature bucks on their feet. I am in the same boat. Hunt less and wait for the right weather.

Top Bottom